Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone else tried N-met for their ASD child?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 1597 Total Views

My son is 7 1/2, was diagnosed less than a year ago as ASD. He is considered high functioning, but has had major behavior issues since he was about 3 (LONG story on the wait for diagnosis/treatment).

He has been on EVERY available med to try and curb his aggression/hyperactivity (he is also ADHD, SPD and has speech delays also).  We are on the third trial of Abilify, which works well for a while, then slowly loses effectiveness.  He is just highly reactive (especially to "NO") and hyperactive which leads to tantrums/meltdowns.

I found N-met on a facebook ad, discussed it with his doctor who agreed it was safe and worth a try. I just wanted to see if there were any other parents who have tried it (it's basically a vitamin supplement, invented by a doctor for is Autistic son). 

So if anyone has tried it, or know someone who has, I would love to hear what you think.

Thanks!

by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jacky7141
by Member on Jan. 18, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Never heard of it what is it supposed to do n help
bearsmom716
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2012 at 10:46 AM

It's designed to help the metabolic system which in turn improves brain function (specifically the main neurons involved in emotional regulation-seretonin, dopemine, etc...).

It bascially helps with reactiveness, aggression, hyperactivity (or so it claims).  We should be starting it next week (when it arrives), so we'll see.

Sweetlemonlove
by New Member on Jan. 22, 2012 at 2:28 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
miagarrett
by New Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:09 PM
I just googled your question and found this site. Did you try it? Did it work? My son is 6 and is high functioning autistic and it sounds like he is pretty much going through what you're soon is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
miagarrett
by New Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:11 PM
I also saw the add and am thinking about this product
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bearsmom716
by New Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:01 AM

We did try it, but no luck.  I have tried other natural 'remedies' before with the same results (tantrum tamer, and something for focus-can't remember the brand/site).  Of course it could still work for your kiddos, but mine is especially difficult even with traditional meds.  We are still giving him Abilify, which really just takes a slight edge off, making his tantrums a little less severe/shorter.  I was worried about long term effects, but he tolerates it well, no side effects and his blood panels always come back normal.

What we really need is something for his ADHD and perseverasion (obsessing over things).  The combintation is especially difficult since he bounces from one thing to the next, obsessively!

I would say give it a try though.  Every kid is different and if it works it would be a small miracle for YOU.=)

Randomlady
by Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:17 AM
We have tried it as well and with the first bottle we noticed he was more social and not headbanging as much. With the second bottle we noticed he is much much more aggressive so we stopped using it. The second time it might not have been the n-met but just to be sure we stopped using it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)