Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tickets bought! Need advice!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:49 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 261 Total Views
So we did it. We are going on the Disney Cruise in September! It's a gift to ourselves as a family for all the struggles when John came home injured from Iraq, through all his college studies, getting both boys diagnosed as autistic...we've had a rough decade. LOL! Anyway, was wondering if any of you had done the cruise before or have advice on how to get the boys ready? I have until September but it may take that long to get them ready. Please, any ideas, would be appreciated!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
AngelaPatton
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Have you gotten the DVD yet? I would play that often. Their web site has lots of pics and info, too. Check YouTube for videos. If you have life jackets, practice putting them on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crossnlilly
by Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Have your boys ever been on a boat before.i would recomend that because it can be a transition but i think they will be fine. Hope you have an awesome time its well earned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
destiny29
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:50 PM
Thank you! Super Excited! Just hoping I can get them excited but not overexcited, cautious but not scared. When we booked it, the person on the phone told us that the counselors on the boat ( you can opt to leave the kids to play and have some alone time) the counselors have to have at minimum a B.A. in pscychology and they've had autistic kids before. It's the most common disability these days. So that relieved me a bit although I am such a helicopter mom I can't imagine leaving my kids with anyone for too long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bearsmom716
by New Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

It's awesome! Of course we did it before kids, but seriously, they do EVERYTHING for you! If your kids get overstimulated, it is VERY quiet on the ship (the kids have their own level!). We saw almost no kids on our 2 cruises! If they like the activity, there is something going on at all times somewhere on the ship! Be sure to plan ahead and you can show your boys what your doing when if that would help them! We even ordered room service once at midnight for pb&j!!! There is no reason you couldn't keep a very close-to-normal schedule on board either.  Disney is so great, I bet if you contact them, they will tell you how to arrange private character meetings and stuff too if it helps!

I REALLY want to do this for my kids one day!  Have FUN!=)

destiny29
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2012 at 5:22 AM

Talked to the travel agent last night and I'm even more excited! They accomodate the gluten and caein free diet too and we were told it is no problem that the kids are on the spectrum. They even have excursions on the islands where someone will drive us to the beaches or take us on a bus tour and a few of the islands have submarine rides so the kids can see the marine life of the reefs! I just can't wait!!!

tillybird6374
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2012 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Check out http://www.alumnicruises.org/Autism/Autism%20Individual%20Booking/Autism_Ind_homepage.htm
They offer many things to make your trip wonderful and stress free. Hope this helps!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)