Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my son needs help

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 10:01 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 247 Total Views
i know that i have not posted in here in while i have been very busy.
k ladies i do not know what to do for my 4 year old son he is severely autistic but some what verbal(his speech is very delayed talks like maybe an 18 mth old). the main problem that we are having with him is that he has almost no impulse control and the school environment is very overwhelming to him. he does not break down at school , rather he goes a little nuts running in circles, running in to things and people, and refuses to sit still for more than maybe 2 min unless strapped in to a car seat, which is the way that he ends up at school most of the time( they jokingly call him a Tasmanian devil at school. even at home it has gotten to the point that he will not play with his toys but for maybe 5 min and then he is jumping over the gate getting into things. and if he wants to watch a movie he has to be strapped down. he is already on meds and it has been increased twice now. i do not know how to help him to be more functional. the thing is that he really does aim to please and it does hurt his feelings when he is scolded, but he simply can not control his own body. any advice at all is appreciated.
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Apple1
by Head Admin on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:23 PM
3 moms liked this

Hugs momma.  It sounds like he has sensory issues.  My son is the same way with movement...it's almost a way for him to deal with the world around him...when we go over to a new place to visit, or somewhere we haven't been in a while he will sort of pace back and forth (almost as a way to adjust to his new environment) My son also will run back and forth at home sometimes, although this has gotten a lot better in a lot of ways.  Is your son seeing an Occupational therapist?  They can do help you to learn joint compressions and brushing techniques to help calm your son, I will also post up some info about how too as well.  Also, does your son play with play dough?  Some sensory activities at home can help to calm him too!  Even finger painting (if he likes to do so)  Something that has helped my son so much is Epsom salt baths...start with 1/4 cup per bath and work your way upto 2 cups per bath...helps them to relax and to calm down, even helps with sleep :)  Wondering if you have ever tried the GFCF diet for your little one?  The proteins in gluten and casein are hard for our children to digest and can cause behavioral problems...if you haven't tried this diet, I would recommend trying it!  Great group here on cafemom that talks about the diet is bio med momma's group.  Hugs to you!  And I hope this information helps you !

http://www.autism-in-the-christian-home.com/wilbarger-technique.html

DACIA79
by Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:16 PM
I would suggest aba therapy for behaviour. Occupation Therapy for sensory issues and. I would suggest teaching him sign language. If you haven't seen any improvement with his meds maybe the meds can be switched. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 3:00 PM
have you tried PECs? (picture exchange communication) it works great with my son who is also delayed verbally.he gives you a picture for what he wants. ie whatever it is across the gate. maybe that can help e his jumping the gate some. does he get OT at school? if not id look into it being in his IEP since it sounds like he has sensory issues. and maybe look into behavioral therapy too. my ds teacher is a behavioral therapist so hr gets that automatically at school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dblackington
by New Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:03 PM

H

dblackington
by New Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Have you tried a stimulant like coffee? I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but it helped our son calm down a bit. I know that when you are at your wits end, you will try just about anything. I wish you luck!

Kate00
by Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I would ditto the OT suggestion, maybe one that specializes in sensory issues.  Don't know how practical this is in your situation but we have to make sure our son gets a LOT of exercise.  We walk to school, go to playgrounds, and take walks at every opportunity.  I noticed that the stimming is a lot less when we do this.

ConnieHammer
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:21 AM

I agree that sensory issues need to be addressed - a good sensory diet customized to his particular sensory issues will do him wonders. Find a good OT but in the meantime if you don't have the book, The Out-of-Sync Child by Carol Kranowitz, M.A., get it.  The book has great checklists for determining what your child's sensory issues are.

Connie Hammer,  Parent Coach for Autism 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)