Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IPad or Kindle Fire

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:07 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 345 Total Views

I am exploring the options of an IPad or Kindle Fire for my autistic toddler.  For financial reasons I am leaning towards the cheaper Kindle.  I would love your input on the positives and/or negatives of both products and what apps work the best on your child. 

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
crossnlilly
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:35 AM
2 moms liked this
We got an ipad cuz thats what my daughter used in school so she was already comfortable using it. Ive heard the kindle fire is just as nice. There r similar apps on both. I did see that the price on ipads has dropped quite a bit since the new one came out .
1plce4spclneeds
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:09 AM
2 moms liked this

Did you cross post?  I recall answering this same question for someone last week.  It's a no brainer to me.  Like with any technology, you go where you have the most offerings.  You can't even compare the amount of apps available for the iPad versus Kindle.  I research apps for my special needs families app guide.  I can tell you the vast majority are only available via iPad/iPhone/Ipod.  The very popular ones have added to Android.  And I've only seen a few for Kindle.  Plus with the latest iPad's version with the increased graphics, more app developers are making apps only for the iPad (not iPhone/iPod).  If you are buying this to get apps for your child, get the iPad.

Here's a link to the app guide so you can see what is out there. http://bit.ly/Iu5xJT 

Gtochic
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:14 AM

ipad, get refurbished and you get the same warranties

Gtochic
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:15 AM

ipad, get refurbished and you get the same warranties

mogadishukim
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:00 AM

My son has an IPAD that the school district owns, but it comes home for us to use with him. All the benefits of owning it ourselves, only they have to take care of updates and maintenance.  We cannot load anything onto it other than photos that we take to use with the Pro Lo Quo 2 go app.

If you are using simple apps and not use it primarily as an assistive communication device, you can load a lot of educational apps onto an IPOD touch as well. We use the IPOD for some simple apps and the IPAD from the school as a communication device. 

You can also check and see if any organizations in your area gives grants to subsidize the purchase of IPADS for special needs kids.

Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)