Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what would you do

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:20 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 218 Total Views

My son was just diagnosed. He originally went to the school's preschool at 3 but we pulled him out at 4 and did some at home therapy. He has an IEP from when he was 3 and he was non-verbal. Now he is verbal. I have been in contact with the school for over 3 weeks now and never had an answer as to where to register him. Finally I went to the vice-principal at our local school and asked and he said if I hadn't heard back from the school district by friday to let him know and he would find out. He told me not to register because a lot of the autistic children go to other schools that are better prepared for them. Well, I finally heard back from the district and they told me to register him with my local school and they would take his diagnosis in consideration.  So I took his papers to them and I asked what they plan to do with him and the secretary told me that if they didn't tell me then they wouldn't know. I told them I would not drop my child off without a game plan. Someone told me they would probably just put him in the special ed class and have an ARD meeting in 30 days. The school doesn't even have a copy of his IEP. I asked to speak to the vice-principal as I feel really uncomfortable with this. Am I just being paranoid with all this. 

On top of it my daughter who is 3 would go to the preschool. I talked to them at the beginning of June and since then have tried to contact them several times with only being called back once. I also went to that school and they told me she wouldn't be able to enroll because she hasn't been evaluated yet and it would probably be at least a month to a month in a half before they would get it done. That seems like an awful long time. Also, I know they are going to try to do one of those IQ test. I can tell you right now she will not do it as the more people you put in the room the less she is able to deal with it. She had a hearing test today and their were only 2 people in the room and she wouldn't cooperate.

Stacy

by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
LadyLuxy
by Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Ok, don't just go register him somewhere. I learned the hard way that not all schools are created equal. If the school board doesn't want to be helpful that makes me uneasy. I'm sure that they have a website with all their schools listed. Check the schools out on it and see if any seem to  have a better special education department then others. One good thing to look for is how many teachers do they have in that department. If the school is K-5 and they only have one teacher I would pass. Another good thing to do ( if you can't get anyone at the school board to help you) would be to go to one of the local elementary schools and ask them about the schools in the system and their programs and which they would recommend.  All the schools talk and help each other so they would know if there is a school that has a larger, better equipped program.  You could also ask your pediatrician if they know of good schools in your area. Just don't settle. Remember the one that wants the best for him and wants to help him succeed is the one you want. You can also ask about preschools as well.  There may even be preschools in your area that are designed for children with special needs. Don't worry if your not zoned for that school because you can get an exemption. 

I remember I used to laugh when I heard about parents shopping schools but I have learned that you really need to. Especially when you have a child that needs more than your "typical" classroom can provide. Good luck sweetie, I hope you find a good school. 

jordysmom12
by New Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 3:50 AM

BUMP!

ConnieHammer
by Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 7:20 AM

Have you tried going up the ladder to the superintendent of your school district?

7blessings001
by Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 10:09 AM

The person I talked to was the head of the special education dept.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN