Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism & special education

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:21 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 621 Total Views
Does anyone have an austic child & is in special education? My son will be going next week. Hes non-verble & im worried sick about him being over looked because of his nonverble ness. And hes regressing with his potty traing . Anyone with any words of encouragment?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadyLuxy
by Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:04 PM
3 moms liked this

When you take him the first day ask questions and observe. The teacher should welcome you to stay and observe and want to reassure you. Share with her what your concerns are. Meet her assistants and observe the classroom. You should feel comfortable with the environment he's in and the people he's around. You want him to have a teacher that is open and friendly to both you and him and wants to help him improve. If you're not happy with the environment he's in then check out other schools. You can always get a transfer to a school that you are comfortable with. Trust your instincts, you'll know if it's a bad school for him or if it's a good one.

I love my son's teachers. They have become wonderful friends and a great support system for me. We are always in communication trading ideas on how to deal with any situation that comes up so we find a way to help him succeed through it. They can't wait to brag on him or tell me something funny or sweet that he did when I pick him up at the end of the day. And I am constantly amazed at the things they can get him to do or accomplish that I couldn't. 

I hope you find a classroom that is just as wonderful to you that my son's is to me. Good luck on his first day, I'm sure it will be great. 

iley
by Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 5:57 PM
Thank u soo much...Me too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apple1
by Head Admin on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Hugs for you momma, the first week of school is always hard.  How old is your son?  Does your son have an IEP set up explaining what the teachers will work with him on, what you feel is needed for your son to be successful etc.?  When my son started kindergarten last year, I was so nervous for him, he is also non-verbal.  I was able to talk and meet with the teachers before hand, and what the schedule was going to be like etc...this helped ease my nervousness a little. 

My husband and I decided to homeschool our son this year because he needs extra help and really needs one on one attention.   Sending you big hugs, starting school is never easy for our children our us mom's!!!  (((HUGS)))

selaineh
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM
2 moms liked this

My first grade son is in a special ed class at his school--his class is specifically for autism, but when he was in preschool he was in a general special ed class.  I think it's far less likely for your nonverbal son to be overlooked in a special ed class than a general ed class and they should absolutely know how to deal with potty training issues--lots of our kids potty train late.  Heck, I've already had to send in two pairs of "stand by" underwear this year.  Make sure you meet his teacher and ask her to send home daily reports.  We keep a notebook in my son's back pack and his teacher writes in it every day, even if it's just a few words, to let us know how he's doing.  Also, get the teacher's email address and phone number--none of my son's teachers ever had a problem with our contacting them this way.  I bet he'll do fine!  Good luck!

Sharon

iley
by Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 2:56 AM
Thank u soo much. He'll be 6 in october. No word of Iep yet, I keep hearing "iep " from alot of people, it sounds important. I also have a senior in high school, & I dnt remember hearing that. Is it for special needs kids?

Quoting Apple1:

Hugs for you momma, the first week of school is always hard.  How old is your son?  Does your son have an IEP set up explaining what the teachers will work with him on, what you feel is needed for your son to be successful etc.?  When my son started kindergarten last year, I was so nervous for him, he is also non-verbal.  I was able to talk and meet with the teachers before hand, and what the schedule was going to be like etc...this helped ease my nervousness a little. 

My husband and I decided to homeschool our son this year because he needs extra help and really needs one on one attention.   Sending you big hugs, starting school is never easy for our children our us mom's!!!  (((HUGS)))

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
librarywizard
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 10:17 AM

How old is your son? My son is 10, autistic, ADHD, OCD, and non-verbal. He uses PECS pictures or his program on his Ipad to communicate. He has been to 4 different elementary schools (in Chicago, we have to go where the special ed program is) and every school has been wonderful so far. Hugs mama! My worry is when Mine gets to middle school and high school and bullies.

Apple1
by Head Admin on Sep. 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Quote:

Thank u soo much. He'll be 6 in october. No word of Iep yet, I keep hearing "iep " from alot of people, it sounds important. I also have a senior in high school, & I dnt remember hearing that. Is it for special needs kids?

IEP stands for Independent, educational, program.  Basically, it helps children in certain areas where they need help; whether it's transitioning from one station or another, help staying on task, special help with motor skills etc.  It is used for children with special needs and or children who need help in certain subjects (even in reg. classrooms)

Something that my son's kindergarten teacher did at the end of the day was to write in each of her students journels about how their day was and what they learned.  This helped a lot as my son like yours is non-verbal and couldn't tell me how his day went...this maybe something you could do with your son's teacher and that way you know how things are going with him...as some other mom's mentioned, you will know in your gut if the class is right or not for your son to be in...strong gut feelings we have as mom's...and it never leads us astray...If you have any doubts, you can always look into other schools etc.  .Hugs for you!

craftmama
by Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

! My worry is when Mine gets to middle school and high school and bullies.

MIne is 13yo and he doesn't get bullied the other kids are used to having the special need kids around.

hcollins18
by New Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Hello, I have identical twin daughters who are severely autistic and non-verbal.  They are 6, but have been in the Special Education system since they were 17 months old.  I'm a nervous wreck every year when it's time to go back to school!  The only thing I can say is establish a habit of communicating with the teacher frequently throughout the week whether by email or a daily journal that goes back and forth.  I also ask to come into the classroom a few times a year to observe and see how the classroom runs and how my girls are doing - they do ALOT more at school for their teachers than they do for me at home :) They do have their "BAD" days at school and it's very hard to read in the daily log that all they did during school was cry and scream, but a must say they have more good days than bad.  And even though the gains we've made are small, they are still forward progress, so I try to stay positive.  I think the phrase I've heard most often that I feel applies to us  is "Two steps forward, one step back."

You will get VERY familiar with IEP's.  It's something that should be done every year and I'm surprised your child hasn't had one done prior to starting school.  It is individualized for the child and includes the "goals" for the year that the school must follow.  You have an input into what these goals should be. 

Good Luck! This will all become more familiar to you as the months go by.

iley
by Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Thank u. I will b sending a notebook for daily communications & my sons class room has a face book page that the teacher & I have been using thus far. His class room has all boys!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)