Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Literally and seriously!  I clean poop at least once a day!!!!!!  I think I'm starting to lose my mind! 

My 8 year old started relapsing on his potty training around fall of last year, and it's been pretty shitty!  I know I'm not the only one out there going through it, but I feel so alone and find myself relying on sarcasm and inappropriate jokes and poop references to get me through.  All my "normal kid" mom friends try to be there for me, but can you imagine a poop related accident every day?  unless you live on the spectrum, then no, you probably cant.  I can't tell if my coping skills are getting stronger, or they are slipping into manic like silliness with a glazed over eye and a maniacal laugh....  I HATE THE POOP!!!!!!

by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 5:09 PM
Replies (11-17):
sarahrose0413
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:54 PM

LOL!!! There are days when I am up to my ears in shit!!! Sam knows how to poo on the toilet, but when he is done, he pulls the poo out of the toilet and will smear in on the seat....soo gross!!! We have also woke up to what we refer to as poocassos in the foyer on occasion.....those are a pain to clean up...*gag* If he finds a dog poop he will break it into tiny pieces or smear it on the floor...I totally can sympathize that autism is kinda shitty sometimes, lol!!! And YES...we do explain to him that poop goes in the potty, and it's gross...but all we get is a blank stare that says "what?? you mean this isn't for playing with?? what is so yucky about this?" He'll get it eventually...........I hope.

Thea50
by Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this

I was there 4 years ago. My son was potty trained at 8 years old. I was elated. I never thought he would because his doctors and teachers say that he wouldn't becuase of his autism. He's a human being first and foremost.  I mobilized all the resources I could find on potty training.  I liked the "Toilet Training For Children with Severe Handicaps," by Dunlap, Koegel and Koegel.

You can obtain a copy of this manual from the: Autism Training Center/Colege of Education/Marshall University/Huntington, WV 25701; Phone no (304) 696-2332. The Center should still be there.  The manual provides the best means of assessing the progress of a toilet-training program. It has a Program LIst, Toilet Training Data Sheet and more. Don't let the word, "Severe Handicaps" intimidate you from obtaining a copy. I can't tell you the exact price but it was a nominal fee or free at the time I got the manual.  My son was potty trained at home but his grade teachers refused to assist me. I researched  again online and found a behavioralist in my area. She spent  5 days to evaluate my son and write a toilet training report for the school to follow. The behavorist was worth the money. In our society, professionals have more status than mothers. Hope this helps. Let me know. Thea50

marcie1455
by New Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I am glad I found this group, because I am going through some of the same things.  I don't understand why it's so tough to potty train my son.  My son is 4 years old and I have a horrible time with him smearing poop on the walls and the windows! (It seems like he actually fingerpaints in it)  I watch him like a hawk and it seems like as soon as my back is turned to wash dishes or help one of my other children...it's too late!  I don't discuss this situation with anyone else, because people with "Typical Children" just don't get it, nor understand!

marcie1455
by New Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Thanks so much for sharing this information!

Quoting Thea50:

I was there 4 years ago. My son was potty trained at 8 years old. I was elated. I never thought he would because his doctors and teachers say that he wouldn't becuase of his autism. He's a human being first and foremost.  I mobilized all the resources I could find on potty training.  I liked the "Toilet Training For Children with Severe Handicaps," by Dunlap, Koegel and Koegel.

You can obtain a copy of this manual from the: Autism Training Center/Colege of Education/Marshall University/Huntington, WV 25701; Phone no (304) 696-2332. The Center should still be there.  The manual provides the best means of assessing the progress of a toilet-training program. It has a Program LIst, Toilet Training Data Sheet and more. Don't let the word, "Severe Handicaps" intimidate you from obtaining a copy. I can't tell you the exact price but it was a nominal fee or free at the time I got the manual.  My son was potty trained at home but his grade teachers refused to assist me. I researched  again online and found a behavioralist in my area. She spent  5 days to evaluate my son and write a toilet training report for the school to follow. The behavorist was worth the money. In our society, professionals have more status than mothers. Hope this helps. Let me know. Thea50

JJKsMom
by Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Having just cleaned off my 7 year old, I can chime in with a hearty AMEN sister!
nefey5883
by New Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Just joined this group and can so relate! My son is 4 but potty training has been slow at best. He will pee sometimes in the toliet but never poop. He refuses to sit on the toliet to poop and prefers to pick it up and throw it in the toliet instead. I guess I am lucky that he gets the idea...but we also have daily poop clean up- hands, smears on the toliet, off the rug...and he smears at times too---ugh!

SarahCnDsMom
by Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 8:41 AM
My DS will go in the toilet but not care to wipe, or in his pants and just ignore it. Lie about it because... well I don't know that one. I just don't get it. I think his is a combination of sensory issues and anxiety/emotional /mental things. I'm 6 years into the autism game and still clueless and baffled
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN