Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frustrated with school (PIOG)

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 5:09 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 254 Total Views

About to have WW3 with either Isaac's teacher or his aides! I'm beyond sick and tired of my son getting "marked" as "fair or "cans do better" in other classes, because they claim he is being stubborn! He is starting the Mainstreaming process this year. The mainstream teacher has told me herself he participates as much as he can, raises his hand, and tries really hard but may need his work modified". I've told them all that he says the work is tricky or that he doesn't understand it. And every day almost they write "he was stubborn today". Now I know my son CAN be stubborn, but there's a difference in being stubborn and not understanding the work. So today's reply to their daily "stubborn note" is as follows:
"Let's get this straight, stubborn by definition is being unreasonable, unyielding, and refusing to complete his work. Understanding by definition is the mental process of comprehension. I've repeatedly told y'all he has said numerous times he does not understand the work. There's a difference in being stubborn and not understanding. What methods are you and your staff using to help him better understand the work? If those methods aren't working, we need to try other methods!" 

I've already scheduled a conference with his new teacher that starts after Fall Break. On MONDAY we were informed his current teacher was not returning (going back to school for psychology I think), and I am going to nip this crap out NOW! 

He is already showing behavior and apprehension about a new teacher. This is a HUGE change and he needs transitional time to adjust to that news as well!

I'm Jess...wife to Jared of 11 years...Mama of 4. 3ofmyown+1ofhis=4kids:   Amanda (sd) 12, Amethyst  9 (Pdd-Nos), Isaac 8 (Autism and Epilepsy) & Elijah 5.. I proudly breastfed Elijah until his 4th birthday when he completely self-weaned.  I support Nursing In Public and am anti-vaccines.

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
rsyoung73
by New Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I wish I has some excellent advice.  Unfortunately I've been there with this before.  Some people, even teachers and those who mean well, just don't get it.  It's hard to stay calm when your afraid that your child isn't getting a fair shake.  Keep on fighting.  We were fortunate enough to be able to move into a private school.  Kyle, 8 is still having so much trouble, but at least he is in an environment where they believe in him.  We are starting to be able to diagnose some of his specific problems with learning.  It;s frustrating, but things are looking up.  Will pray for your family.   Rebecca

MamaGlitterBug
by Group Admin on Oct. 26, 2012 at 7:16 PM

UPDATE:

THIS TEACHER IS MUCH BETTER, AND ON BOARD WITH EVERYTHING. REMOVED THE AIDE WORKING WITH HIM IN MATH AND PUT ANOTHER AIDE HE IS MORE FAMILIAR WITH AND SURPRISE, ISSUES ARE GONE WITH THAT ISSUE AND SHE SAID SHE IS GIVING HIM PLENTY OF TIME TO ADJUST TO ALL THESE CHANGES

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)