Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism and Anti-psychotics NEED ADVICE PlEASE

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 7:26 PM
  • 26 Replies
  • 803 Total Views

OK so here is the thing i have a 6 yr old boy with severe ASD however he loves touch hugs, pressure ect but anyways we have been having seizures lately so i took him to his doctor who recommended seeing a neurologist and i ended up leaving with 2 options either i put him on anti-psychotics or they put him in a institution which would not be pretty since they will have to go through me first i would die for my kids they are my life and all of this because in a 10 min session the dr determined with his hyperactivity that he was a danger to himself and others seriously anyone else dealing with this or have children on meds ?

by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 7:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
trippyhippy
by Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I would kick that dr in the ass for even saying institutionalization is an option. What is this, the 1940s? My son sound a lot like yours and we just started Risperdol two weeks ago and are already seeing big changes in him behaviorally as well as in his hyperactivity. Hell even his speech seems to be clearer. I say give it a try. I wish I had given in an tried earlier.

EGNS
by Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 9:13 PM
2 moms liked this

thanks yeah mine is also non-verbal so yeah i was litterally screaming at this doctor my friends little boy has autism to and he is on risperdol but it makes him eat like crazy and he kinda zones out alot mine will allready eat all day and he is not overweight just dont want something that im going to have to take a loan out to buy groceries lol

lovemyjon
by New Member on Oct. 20, 2012 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Hi, My son is 12 and a few months ago I was told the same from my sons neurologist, treatment center would be critical for him. I was so hurt and frustrated with the doctor, yes he is physical but more when he is frustrated. My son takes 3 different seizure meds, paxil, thyroid medication, needs vitamin supplements. I also had my son on Risperdol, he gained alot of weight and it sedated him more than anything. I give him Tenex at night to help him sleep..highly recommend if you have that problem.
Needless to say, I did not listen to my sons doctor, my husband and I refuse to let my son sleep in another bed without his momma and daddy. We just take it day to day and hope for the best. I wish you luck and hope you get answers for your son!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EGNS
by Member on Oct. 20, 2012 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this

yeah right now my son is on clonidine for sleep keppra for seizures metra nx he also has allergy meds he takes and emergency Valium for seizures so yeah just taking it one step at a time my son can get physical but he doesn't initially try to hurt anyone most of the time he just wants to play or if he has meltdowns everyone knows to stay away from him except me until he calms down

renee.s
by Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 2:21 PM

My 3 -yeaqr-old son bangs his head a lot, particularly for hours in the night and they want us to try antipsychotics.

EGNS
by Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Mine did that alot and was self-injourous before we got him a sensory swing it hangs in your doorway and is easy to put up or take down and they can be in it however long they want its awesome and you can get one on ebay for about $50 also weighted blankets help to he is doing that to block out some bad sensory input could be the smell of his blankets lights whatever i would try the swing though

Quoting renee.s:

My 3 -yeaqr-old son bangs his head a lot, particularly for hours in the night and they want us to try antipsychotics.

EGNS
by Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 8:41 AM
2 moms liked this

What gets me is that more dr and parents want to medicate these kids and drug them up pretty much so they dont have to deal with them there is no magic pill for autism and just cause our kids may have meltdowns or sensory issues and hate  new places like dr offices doesent mean they need to be put on meds we know how to help our kids without meds lord knows as mothers we do it on a day to day basis no its not easy some days and some days we are so tired coffee wont even help but they are our children and we love them no matter what and try to do the best we can

LORNA1221
by New Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 9:36 AM
3 moms liked this

I will add your son to other other kids that I pray for so they would be better.  You're a great mom just stay that way. 

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on Oct. 22, 2012 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not one to say if Meds' will help him , diet' and a lot supplements helped my Kyle so much , One thing for sure is that so called physician :( is not calling the shots' on whether to put your little guy in a institutions what a idot' and grrrrrrrrrrrrr .. My Kyle was non verbal 'no words until the age of 7 he is talking in clear sentences now ...... Don't let the Doctor scare you ' do your research and always always follow your gut instincts on what you YOU' Think is best for you child ..... Sending you my care ................................. 

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on Oct. 22, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Quoting EGNS:

What gets me is that more dr and parents want to medicate these kids and drug them up pretty much so they dont have to deal with them there is no magic pill for autism and just cause our kids may have meltdowns or sensory issues and hate  new places like dr offices doesent mean they need to be put on meds we know how to help our kids without meds lord knows as mothers we do it on a day to day basis no its not easy some days and some days we are so tired coffee wont even help but they are our children and we love them no matter what and try to do the best we can

Amen to this one , there is always others' option's to help him in the areas' he in needing to help him to cope better with this world around him ... I hear ya bout the coffee no amount helps me by the time it even 12 o'clock in the afternoon lol ....... Awww your such a great mom keep up the good work ......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)