Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Listening therapy WITHOUT my consent

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 8:38 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 181 Total Views

How 'bout this one ladies?!

My ASD daughter is 7 yo.  Her school OT decided to use something called Electronic Auditory Stimulation Effect (a type of listening therapy) on my daughter this past Feb (2012) WITHOUT my knowledge or consent.

This is where the child wears headphones and listens to soft, calming music.  Then out of nowhere will be sharp, intense noises.  This is supposed to "JOLT" their neurotransmitters into a different path - thus - producing all kinds of wonderful behavioral impovements, acedemic improvements and social improvements.  Bull puddy!!

My daughter has (and still does) now suffer from sever panic attacks, is now SUPER sensitive to the slightest sound.  I have done extensive research on this topic.  There is NO scientific studies that have been done.  The American Academy of Pediatrics strongly suggests that this NOT be used.  It can (and does) cause serious side effects; hearing loss or complecations, anxiety, panic,seizures and schizophrenia!

I am just trying to help my daughter get back to the place she was BEFORE this was done to her.  Any suggestions would be fantastic!

by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Unicorn1110
by Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 10:04 AM

They might have gotton your consent for therapies without being specific about what kind would be used. I have never heard of this therapy at all. Read her IEP and see what it states under OT. Than reread your states and school districts rights. They should give your a copy at every IEP meeting or you can get it at your states education web site. See if this "therapy" is listed by name or what it does. Than call a IEP meeting. Its your right. Have them explain it. If you don't get the answers you want then go to your school superintant and on up the line until your get the answers and right therapies. Good Luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)