Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sensory Issue I am guessing

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 2:29 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 174 Total Views

I know with autism that sensory is a big thing but last night my child found my blanket was so soft (and by the way it is not that soft its not fleece or anything) and so he decided to rub his cheek on it and turn in circles for over an hour. At first it was cute because he had this doofy smile from ear to ear then after ten mins I said okay, nope that did not work... So, I let it go. I attempted two more times to redirect his attention and both failed. So, I let it go I thought I am going to just pick my battles. Well, about an hour later his face has what looks like roadrash and a few bloody spots on it because he rubbed his cheek for that long and then he says oh it burns. I swiftly said so you won't be doing that again and he says "well, it felt good maybe when it stops burning because I can't help it.. I want to feel it again". Has anyone ever had this happen, their pretty much out of this world so it is not as though you can re-direct the situation but you really don't wish your kid to look like they ate pavement either. Also, anyone experience any good sensory items for children that had this same issue to supplement?

by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
ConnieHammer
by Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this

You tried some very good tactics and you know what doesn't work,  now you need a plan for the next time.  I am impressed by how well he is able to express his sensory need, that is good. I have helped many parents resolve similar issues and his verbal ability is a plus - it will help you identify an appropriate substitute. His substitute will be unique to him so play detective and find out all you can about what this does for him, what about it feels good, etc - gather all the clues you can. Also I would educate him and talk to him about why he has this sensory need and tell him you are going to help him find something else that won't hurt him.  You could also get good advice from an Occupational Therapist and I have some books I could recommend if you want to send me a message. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)