Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

am i being paranoid because I have 2 who are autistic

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 5:42 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 205 Total Views

Hey everyone,

I have 2 children diagnosed with autism and one in the process of being diagnosed with aspergers.  My husband was diagnosed not too long ago with aspergers.  We have a large family and now I think my 2yo is displaying symptoms.  I am scared to death that she is.  She doesn't smile often.  When other children approach her she just studies them more or less but doesn't interact.  She went to a trunk or treat today and didn't smile the entire time.  She can talk but mostly if you say something like "say duck" and she will say duck but most of the time it is gibberish. I have heard her say "Leave me alone" or "I don't know"  Her favorite thing to do is push our laundry basket around or dump the socks and put them back in.  She doesn't pretend play.  She will sometimes just sit on the couch and twist her hair and suck her thumb and stare off into space.  My mom and I went running around the other day and we stopped at a restaurant and a lady was smiling at her and waving and she just watched her but never cracked a smile and when mom and I was at Costco my mom put an angry bird towel on her head and was being silly and she did the same thing.  She doesn't like to be tickeled and will squeal if you do.  She will give a hint of a smile if you play peek a boo with her but she never plays back.  But on good days she seems to smile more but I can honestly say I've never heard her giggle out of pleasure.  She plays ok with our kids.  Our church has a big bubble machine and she just stands there and looks at the bubbles and holds her hands out if one is close enough to land on her to watch it pop but she doesn't jump around and laugh and play like others.  Then other days I think she must be ok because she is more smily and seems to be in a decent mood.  

Am I being paranoid and should leave well enough alone or do I have enough worries to take her in and have her evaluated.  I'm afraid the doctor is going to start thinking I am completely nuts.

Stacy

by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Eve-marie
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 9:02 AM
It's nothing to freak about. My first is autistic. My second is totally different so I never worried about him. Of my twins I'm wondering about the girl. She was avoiding eye contact as a baby and now she doesn't notice stuff going on around her, talks too much. Get her diagnosed when you can. Don't worry, you're getting good practice with the older ones. It may not be the life you imagined but it can be good just the same. Best of luck.
selaineh
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

If your doctor thinks you are nuts then change doctors.  There is a strong genetic component to autism so it's completely reasonable to be concerned.  That being said, you never know...personality differences can come into play too.  I agree with the first poster who said get her diagnosed when you can.  Hugs.

spidermansmom
by Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 4:55 PM
No one believed me with our second son. Our first is Neuro normal and I KNEW something wasn't right with our second. I eventually had him evaluated and confirmed what I already thought. Trust your sixth sense. If she is evaluated and nothing is found then no harm no foul.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)