Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

private school

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:48 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 286 Total Views
My daughter has Aspergers. She has major anxiety because of it. The school says she is failing and wants to talk about having her repeat. I agree but with an anxiety disorder repeating at the same school would be devistating. She already has major social issues because of her Aspergers can u imagine after her classmates more up a grade and she has to listen to something over and over again. If she needs to be held back I'm thinking about private school. Any send their child to private school. I like that the class sizes are smaller they do have a resource room but i don't think they have a speach teacher she really needs speach. We r going Friday to check out the school I'm so nervous. Ive always wanted my girls in private school because they are smaller but with special needs its hard. I just hope that's an option.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Apple1
by Head Admin on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Hugs for you!  I don't know much about private schooling...I have a 6 year old boy who has autism, and is pretty much non-verbal, and I home school due to his medical needs.  It sounds like a private school would be better, especially if they have smaller class sizes and a resource room (sounds like this could be very helpful to her)  Is she getting extra help through an IEP at school?  It would be hard for her to repeat a grade, especially when all of her other friends or classmates are going into the next grade...Have you tried dietary changes for her anxiety?  Often times children with autism have a hard time digesting wheat and dairy and have behavioral or other issues that arise due to this...the Gluten free casein free diet is what it is, you can try it, or try substituting things in place of things with wheat or dairy...it's definitely worth trying!!   Also, epsom salt baths are wonderful for anxiety, *helps to relax*  you can find them at any local store and start out slow, about 1/4 cup per bath...you can build upto 2 cups.  ((HUGS))

Crocopooh
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

WE are in private school.  My son has aspergers and is 12.  We did move him from the private school he was in (college Prep type) to a private school that has only 120 kids in the whole school and only takes kids with learning disabilities, those on the spectrum or adhd etc but that are average to gifted.   The private school we had been attending was fine, smaller classes but no real resource room.  He did great gradewise but it was a lot of stress for him and us to get As and Bs.  He can do the work but it was frustrating at school to keep up. He needs processing time and it moved too quickly.  We would be doing homework for 3 hour stints each night.  

We also had social issues which were difficult to deal with at the private school. They did what they could but were not really prepared for helping with those issues.  We moved him at the end of 5th grade before middle school entrance.  It was  a good time to transition.  

The new school is small, they have the training and staff available to teach social skills/conversations etc.  He moves as quickly in the material as he wishes.  Faster in some class subjects than others and there is less homework.  He does have some but not nightly and not a ton.  They are of the philosophy that they need to be teaching him at school not us teaching at home, it is their job.  He will never like school but it was  a good move for us.  My blood pressure is down, and he is less anxious than before.  He still has issues but it is not every single day, tears and upset when I pick him up at school.  

Good luck with everything.  Email me if you have any more questions that I can answer.  I can give you any info that i have that may help.

Lydlou02
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Is she failing because the work is too hard for her, or because she's not doing her work? If she CAN perform at grade level, then holding her back is just going to make things worse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamaBerg85
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:21 PM
She's really smart. If u set and talk to her and teach her things she's picks up on it right away. The porblem comes when she's expected to learn things as a group. She will get lost in a big group.

Quoting Lydlou02:

Is she failing because the work is too hard for her, or because she's not doing her work? If she CAN perform at grade level, then holding her back is just going to make things worse.

Lydlou02
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:24 PM
Maybe a private school or web-based learning would be better for her.
Keeping a smart child back for under-performing is never a good idea.

Quoting mamaBerg85:

She's really smart. If u set and talk to her and teach her things she's picks up on it right away. The porblem comes when she's expected to learn things as a group. She will get lost in a big group.

Quoting Lydlou02:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamaBerg85
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I know.

Quoting Lydlou02:

Maybe a private school or web-based learning would be better for her.

Keeping a smart child back for under-performing is never a good idea.

Quoting mamaBerg85:

Quoting Lydlou02:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)