Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for advice. :/

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:31 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 316 Total Views
I have a 14 month old son who hasn't been diagnosed with autism. I'm leaning toward having some type of evaluation or screen just to be safe but I kind of wanted some input from moms who know what they're dealing with because everyone in my family thinks I'm just overreacting.

First off, I delayed all vaccinations until my son was one. He's my first and when I read all the negative information about vaccines potentially being linked to SIDS and autism, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I always had a gut feeling like he wouldn't react well. But, with a lot pressuring from doctors and my family I went ahead and had them administer the vaccines when my son turned one.

I know this isn't a very popular topic and a very sensitive issue especially on cafemom but since having his vaccines, he's completely changed. I don't want to completely blame his vaccines but I never noticed a change in him until after they were given. His first vaccines were MMR, chickenpox, and dtap with influenza. His second set were MMR, and dtap with polio.

Looking back around the time his vaccines were given, I noticed he started completely ignoring me when I called his name. My first instinct was a hearing problem, but that couldn't be it because he responds to music and loud noises. After the second set, I realized that he was becoming more and more independent. He plays alone with the exception of the occasional baby coming over. He'll interact with faces he's not familiar with out of curiosity, and when his grandparents comes over he always plays with them. But he doesn't play with me or his dad and I've noticed that more and more often, he won't even make eye contact. It's like I'm dying for him to notice me and he doesn't even see that I'm there. :(

There are times when he will play with me and let me read to him for short periods of time. He loves to be tickled and loves to play chasing games. He will interact if it's something he's interested in but it seems like I'm standing on my head to get his attention.

I go as far as turning off tvs to avoid distractions, that doesn't help. I try one on one interactions and the majority of the time he wants to play alone. I also feel like he's regressing in other areas. About a week after his last set of shots, he stopped waving bye-bye, playing patty cake, and peek-a-boo. These were all things he did everyday and now he just doesn't seem interested or like he even remembers.

He's never been a big sleeper, but now at 14 months, he's expecting to only sleep 6-8 hours and refuses a nap even though he's cranky and wants to rest.

He also does things in repetition. Sometimes he will pick one toy and push the same button to make the same noise, over and over. He rocks himself in a back and forth motion several times a day for 2-5 minutes at a time. This never worried me because I thought that when watching tv that was his way of concentration, or when he was watching characters dance he was just trying to mimic and go along with the rhythm. But now I've notice that while rocking, he's banging his head on whatever surface he's rocking on and he seems to be doing it more violently.

He does react to pain and emotions. Even though he doesn't interact the best with me right now, he notices when I leave the room and will follow me or cry. He does want to be picked up and held occasionally but he doesn't care for snuggling.

I'm just really at a loss for what to do. I feel like I'm the only one noticing a change and everyone else thinks I'm just being paranoid. :/ I'm not really familiar with autism. I've been doing some research for the past few days to see what I could learn. I'm just really hoping maybe some of you ladies could give me some insight.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WaitingOnPeanut
by New Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:21 PM
Bump.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Apple1
by Head Admin on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Hugs to you!  I don't think you are being paranoid at all!  Trust your gut/heart, it will never lead you astray.  As far as the vaccines, it sounds like he has had a bad reaction to them.  My son had all of his vaccines upto the age of 14 months and we stopped everything...he too had reactions to them and started staring off into space, not looking at me when calling his name, no verbal words all stopped.  Because you know that your son is sensitive to vaccines, I would NOT give him anymore!  You know what is best deep down and surly he is having reactions, you can see this happening.  It'OK, not to give them, I haven't vaccinated my son and he is doing so much better these days, we give him natural things to help his immune system stay strong, probiotics (good bacteria) helps with digestion as well and stools, Vitamin D,  and zinc.  Have you looked into the biomed group her on cafemom, they talk about special diets for children with autism or who are vaccine injured, also other natural remedies to help them.  The Gluten casein free diet is one I would look into, has help our soon so much!  And epsom salt baths, they help to draw out toxins.  I would start with a 1/4 of  a cup or even a tablespoon in his bath water and work upto a cup or two...per full bath.  It takes about 20 min for them to work and also can help our children relax for sleep at night.  I hope this helps, you are right on for having concerns...keep your chin up!  Hugs to you and your little one.

Apple1
by Head Admin on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Oh, and yes, I would look into having him evaluated for autism, my son was diagnosed at 19 months of age.  We went to our local children's hospital for his evaluation.  It sounds like he is showing many signs, remember, it is a spectrum for a reason, some children are higher functioning then others, have more eye contact, or are more social etc. the others on the spectrum  (((HUGS)))

WaitingOnPeanut
by New Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Thank you. I always had a feeling like something would go wrong, that's why I delayed them as much as I could. I finally caved under pressure from all of our family, friends, and doctors. I felt like they were making my out to be a mad mom for not vaccinating and and protecting him as much as I could. I just really wish now that I would've stood my ground. :/ Everyone in our family is required to have flu shots, which he hasn't had, because my mother in law contracted bacterial meningitis in 2011. So I'm wondering how they'll react to me telling them no. He's supposed to have another set if shots on December 5th but his screen is on November 30th.

How did your pediatrician react when you told them the vaccine caused the reaction? I feel like every time I mention the risks of vaccines that his pediatrician looks at me like I'm ten shades of green. I know doctors do t like to admit or discuss the negative aspects of vaccinating, or at least ours don't. I just wonder if they'll feed me a line about how the vaccine isn't what caused the change and continue to hound me to get them.

Thanks for telling me about the group! I'm definitely going to need all the advice and help I can get! I'll definitely look into the diets and Epsom salt baths, I just hope he'll be willing to sit the 20 minutes for it to work. My little man HATES bath time lol. :P

Thank you so much for your support and advice. It feels good to hear that I'm not as paranoid as everyone thinks! I don't know a lot about autism but I can definitely see the change. I'm just ready to get him the best help I can and be strong for him as we're most more than likely going to start this journey together. I'm trying to stay optimistic, just in case, but I really feel like this fits his description.

Quoting Apple1:

Hugs to you!  I don't think you are being paranoid at all!  Trust your gut/heart, it will never lead you astray.  As far as the vaccines, it sounds like he has had a bad reaction to them.  My son had all of his vaccines upto the age of 14 months and we stopped everything...he too had reactions to them and started staring off into space, not looking at me when calling his name, no verbal words all stopped.  Because you know that your son is sensitive to vaccines, I would NOT give him anymore!  You know what is best deep down and surly he is having reactions, you can see this happening.  It'OK, not to give them, I haven't vaccinated my son and he is doing so much better these days, we give him natural things to help his immune system stay strong, probiotics (good bacteria) helps with digestion as well and stools, Vitamin D,  and zinc.  Have you looked into the biomed group her on cafemom, they talk about special diets for children with autism or who are vaccine injured, also other natural remedies to help them.  The Gluten casein free diet is one I would look into, has help our soon so much!  And epsom salt baths, they help to draw out toxins.  I would start with a 1/4 of  a cup or even a tablespoon in his bath water and work upto a cup or two...per full bath.  It takes about 20 min for them to work and also can help our children relax for sleep at night.  I hope this helps, you are right on for having concerns...keep your chin up!  Hugs to you and your little one.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WaitingOnPeanut
by New Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:30 PM
And look over all my typos, my autocorrect on my phone can be a real pain lol. :P
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apple1
by Head Admin on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:51 PM

My peditrican didn't understand either....But we as mom's know in our hearts what is going on...so, we have to be strong and stand firm for our kids.  I told her that my son was reacting to the vaccines and that I would no longer be doing them.  I now have a wonderful DAN doctor (Defeat Autism Now doc) who we work with and have worked with ever since my son was diagnosed.  DAN doctors are often times for no vaccinating or seperating them out way out...it just depends on the doctor.  In my case with my son, we will never do any again, he had a severe reaction to them as so many children are having now days.  That group I was telling you about is the biomed momma's group. :)  It's been a blessing to me!!  Don't worry about what your family is telling you, I know it's hard, but it will get easier as you go....And probiotics help alot !!!  My son hasn't been sick in quite a while because of them (They have been such a great help)  You can find them @ http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/ or http://www.ourasdkids.com/ or http://www.customprobitics.com/ when use D-lactate free (it's specifically made for children with autism)  It is expensive, but so worth it.  And you can start slow and build your way up with the dose.  (((HUGS)))

WaitingOnPeanut
by New Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:35 PM
Thank you so much! :)

Quoting Apple1:

My peditrican didn't understand either....But we as mom's know in our hearts what is going on...so, we have to be strong and stand firm for our kids.  I told her that my son was reacting to the vaccines and that I would no longer be doing them.  I now have a wonderful DAN doctor (Defeat Autism Now doc) who we work with and have worked with ever since my son was diagnosed.  DAN doctors are often times for no vaccinating or seperating them out way out...it just depends on the doctor.  In my case with my son, we will never do any again, he had a severe reaction to them as so many children are having now days.  That group I was telling you about is the biomed momma's group. :)  It's been a blessing to me!!  Don't worry about what your family is telling you, I know it's hard, but it will get easier as you go....And probiotics help alot !!!  My son hasn't been sick in quite a while because of them (They have been such a great help)  You can find them @ http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/ or http://www.ourasdkids.com/ or http://www.customprobitics.com/ when use D-lactate free (it's specifically made for children with autism)  It is expensive, but so worth it.  And you can start slow and build your way up with the dose.  (((HUGS)))

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mogadishukim
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

The good news is you are so aware of your son that you have noticed the changes and so very early. That speaks well for his future, and speaks well of you as his momma.

Here is a book about one families' journey that I found very inspiring and eye-opening:
Let Me Hear Your Voice, by Catherine Maurice

Like your son, the girl in the book was very young when her mom began to notice the changes in her behavior and development. Their journey is very instructional and the ABA therapies that they eventually found success with were extremely new and controversial at the time, and now are a part of all early intervention for young children with autism, and are paid for in the school districts across the nation, and now are covered by insurance.  This family had seemingly unlimited financial resources, but they still had to find what actually worked and eliminate that which was quakery.

http://www.amazon.com/Let-Me-Hear-Your-Voice/dp/0449906647/ref=sr_1_65?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353178245&sr=1-65&keywords=autism

Another resource that I found very helpful is TACA, Talk About Curing Autism. Just the name puts people off, but there are so many things that you as a parent can do to help your son, if he is found to be on the autism spectrum. 
Here is a brief account from a young mom like you that you might get started with and then move around the website reading what interests you. After reading the Christian's Recovery, you can click on Family Resources menu to get started with information about diagnosis, diet, therapies, etc.

http://www.tacanow.org/family-stories/christiansrecovery/

WaitingOnPeanut
by New Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Thank you so much for your help! I'm so ready to hear what they have to say at the doctor. I'm very new to the world and experiences of autism and am glad to have all the help and information I can get to help him.

Quoting mogadishukim:

The good news is you are so aware of your son that you have noticed the changes and so very early. That speaks well for his future, and speaks well of you as his momma.

Here is a book about one families' journey that I found very inspiring and eye-opening:
Let Me Hear Your Voice, by Catherine Maurice

Like your son, the girl in the book was very young when her mom began to notice the changes in her behavior and development. Their journey is very instructional and the ABA therapies that they eventually found success with were extremely new and controversial at the time, and now are a part of all early intervention for young children with autism, and are paid for in the school districts across the nation, and now are covered by insurance.  This family had seemingly unlimited financial resources, but they still had to find what actually worked and eliminate that which was quakery.

http://www.amazon.com/Let-Me-Hear-Your-Voice/dp/0449906647/ref=sr_1_65?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353178245&sr=1-65&keywords=autism

Another resource that I found very helpful is TACA, Talk About Curing Autism. Just the name puts people off, but there are so many things that you as a parent can do to help your son, if he is found to be on the autism spectrum. 
Here is a brief account from a young mom like you that you might get started with and then move around the website reading what interests you. After reading the Christian's Recovery, you can click on Family Resources menu to get started with information about diagnosis, diet, therapies, etc.

http://www.tacanow.org/family-stories/christiansrecovery/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kryysteez
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:05 AM

Delay the vaccines in the future because they could make it worse.  I think they have had an effect alsio.  If you continue giving him them, give only one at a time.  Vaccines contain many toxic ingredients that damage the immune system.  Studies show the UN-vaccinated children are MUCH healthier than the vaccinated.  We were meant to have PURE blood, not contaminated with diseases and toxic chemicals, over and over and over again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)