Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

medication

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:27 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 278 Total Views
My daughter has anxiety disorder which breaks into her school work. She use to be on Zoloft 50mgs she came off because her dr moved ot of state and it took a bit to get her back on it. After being off of it for 3 months she had a huge melt down and i took her to the ER i told them what was going on and they put her back on 50mgi called the school and told them. The caseworker four her IEP said if the meds would rise gradually. I told her I wouldn't know until we see her regular psychic on the 24th. U thought it was kind of a strange question. I'm also getting jkind of mad that when i told her my daughter is no longer on meds she said well that explains a lot. I feel very pressured baby the school not only to medicate my daughter but now also to up her meds. Not really by the whole school but mostly by this caseworker. My question is who do i go to about this issue and is there a chance her meds will go up? She is 9 almost 10.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
kinshipcaremama
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:32 PM
My son's school also pushed the meds. I simply did what I felt was right for MY child. The staff can suggest but they can't force you to medicate. that is between you and the doctor.
mogadishukim
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried any OTC supplements? My son's anxiety has gone waaaaaay down. He is on 5htp nightly, Inositol, GABA and even the Nordic Naturals Omega oil is part of the anxiety helpers.  He used to hide behind us with a death grip on our our neck just because of some new person or situation or location. He would not go into unfamiliar places, now he might hesitate, but will comply.  His OCD/anxiety disorder was really bad before we started him on those supplements. Here is an excerpt on anxiety from the Talk About Curing Autism website (http://www.tacanow.org/family-resources/teens-with-asd-puberty/#Anxiety):

Anxiety

Anxiety and stress can emerge or become more pronounced with puberty as well, so consider getting your child into activities that help them head off those issues. Yoga, Tai Chi and cardio exercise are very effective tools for kids with anxiety since they teach self-calming techniques and release endorphins which relieve stress and pain.

What are common symptoms of anxiety?

Heart rate accelerations resulting in palpitations, sweating, dizziness, and difficulty breathing are common symptoms of anxiety. In fact, many people feel as if they are suffocating and cannot catch their breath. This can be enormously frightening and can only serve to exacerbate symptoms. Other physical symptoms may include diarrhea, vomiting, dry mouth, inability to swallow, headache, shaking, trembling, and frequent urination.

But there are psychological anxiety symptoms that sufferers experience as well. Anxiety sufferers may feel ongoing heightened sensitivity or feelings of worry and unease, fatigue, difficulty concentrating, irritability, and insomnia. Many people feel as if they are “going crazy” and have difficulty separating reality from the imaginary.

For a child who cannot express or explain these feelings or symptoms you may see increased OCD, self-injurious behaviors, sleep disturbances where there were none before, increased need for stimming, need for being alone, and aggression. Testing for PANDAS (Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal infections) in the presence of OCD should be your first step. Two good sites for info are Latitudes Journal and SavingSammy.

Calming techniques to help your child include:

• A sensory diet to include things like sensory breaks throughout the day with a quiet place to decompress; weighted vest, deep pressure massage, swinging, bouncing, and use of the Wilbarger Protocol.
  • Using visual or written schedules to help them know what is going to happen during their day.
  • Epsom salts baths
  • Supplements like GABA, taurine, EFAs, B6, inositol, 5HTP, Magnesium, l-theanine and others that slow neurotransmitters.
  • Removing the offenders like food colorings and preservatives, excitotoxins like MSG and aspartame and caffeine. (link to toxins in food page)
  • If your child is able to participate in therapy, such as with a counselor or psychologist, it may help for them to talk it out and get advice on how to deal with the situations they are having problems coping with or understanding.
  • Tai Chi or Yoga
  • Cardio exercise
  • 1-5 scale of frustration

My son also takes epsom salt baths nightly which is a mild detoxifier from the harmful chemicals in his environment out and about in the world, and it provides magnesium:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/488218-magnesium-deficiency-anxiety-disorder/

Now, your rights are another thing.
You do have the right to decline to medicate your child. 
You do have the right to go to mediation if the school insists that your daughter is uneducatable while in her anxiety disorder. 
You do have a right to a second opinion from the school district's "experts" and to select your own professional to evaluate her case, at the district's expense.

Don't feel pressured.  Throw out words like "mediation" and "advocate" and "legal counsel" and usually they start to stammer and trip over themselves to "clarify" what they think is a "terrible misunderstanding".
Right, like you didn't know what they meant. 
The caseworker does not have the power to make this decision unilaterally.  She sounds like a know-it-all or at the least judgemental by nature.
An IEP is always a team, a collaborative plan with parents and any of the advocates or representatives they invite, and the school district, including teacher, therapists, administrators and the school district office special ed employees.  

Hang in there, mama, your instincts and insight are a powerful force or good for your daughter's benefit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)