Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Noticing a trend on the Internet.

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:18 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 318 Total Views
I was online just bumming around the other day and I noticed that people are inappropriately being politically correct. Now I know it sounds like an oxymoron but here's what I mean, people used to just insult eachother by saying "are you stupid/a moron/idiot" and things of that nature. What I noticed yesterday, from normal people as well as celebrities, is that they are now calling out to an actual mental illness instead by saying "are you autistic/down syndrome/aspbergers?" when did this start happening?
Honestly I think it was better when the name calling was vague. How do you feel about this new trend in name calling? I'm quite appalled by it and it turns my stomach.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Faewds
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:22 PM
Ive noticed that too. It's disturbing and brings me back to the "R" word. I try to teach my children the propper meaning to words and to use them correctly.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mandog73
by New Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Seriously? How awful.
crossnlilly
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:33 PM
Its pure ignorance
jthompson1976
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:35 AM

turns my stomic...if they would only take the time to meet some of are children they would see they are the stupid one our children are very smart in there own way..  i have asbergers daugther i would not change her for noting i would like a easy button at times but i love her so much 

MamaGlitterBug
by Group Admin on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Ridiculous and pure ignorance. It's become the new "r" word and I hate that too.

I'm Jess...wife to Jared of 11 years...Mama of 4. 3ofmyown+1ofhis=4kids:   Amanda (sd) 12, Amethyst  9 (Pdd-Nos), Isaac 8 (Autism and Epilepsy) & Elijah 5.. I proudly breastfed Elijah until his 4th birthday when he completely self-weaned.  I support Nursing In Public and am anti-vaccines.

Yrez
by New Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I've noticed it too, not only on the internet. Nowadays, it seem very common to say: 'Don't be so autistic' or 'He's just a bit autistic'. Recently, my 11-year-old niece was talking about someone at school who is, in her opinion, a bit weird and she said: 'I think she's just severely autistic.' I don't think that (here in the Netherlands) someone who is 'severely autistic' can be in the 8th grade of a regular school. It just became some sort of 'normal' way to describe odd or rigid behaviour.

JakesMommy527
by New Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:33 AM

It's not really a new trend, people have been degrading the disabled for a very long time. It is very upsetting. I just watched 21 Jump Street and was so upset by the comments about autism. 
Medical Dictionary

moron  mo·ron (môr'ŏn') 
n. 
 A person of mild mental retardation having a mental age of from 7to 12 years and generally having 

communication and social skillsenabling some degree of academic or vocational education. Theterm 

belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is nowconsidered offensive.

World English Dictionary
idiot  (ˈɪdɪət) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— n
1.a person with severe mental retardation
2.a foolish or senseless person
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)