Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone have a child that squirrels?

Posted by   + Show Post
What I mean by that is he will store food, spit, vomit, and other things inside of megablocs, shoes, boxes etc. I don't know why he is doing it or what the thought behind it is whether it's sensory, boredom or what. He has been doing it for a few weeks now and we just aren't sure how to handle it. He's nonverbal and only 10 months old mentally so it's very hard to explain to him that we don't do that. Have you had to deal with this before?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Replies (11-11):
lancet98
by Member on Jan. 17, 2015 at 10:02 PM

A lot of times we just 'pick our battles'.   I'm not sure if I would be upset about it.  I don't think so.  If someone insisted I had to be upset about it, I'd probably just redirect the behavior.

For example, when he went to put a bit of food or vomit in a toy, I'd try to get him to spit in a basket, and give him a reward for doing so.  If you can time it just right you can just redirect the behavior.

I think some kids just like to ... keep things.   My friend's son used to take little pieces of paper and stick them into...everything...LOL.

Quoting Randomlady:

He is going to be 4 soon. We have taken him to the doctors a few times but they just look at him and say he's perfect. When it comes to his diet I can't tell if anything is bothering him, he eats quite a varied diet but he doesn't look like anything is disturbing him. he doesn't watch tv, maybe he picked it up at school though. he goes to school with other autistic kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN