Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autistic Daughter

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:59 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 216 Total Views

Hi everyone,

What a great resource this is I stumbled on it while on the internet tonight.  I have two daughters ages 6 and 4 My oldest has been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder.  Everyday has its challenges.  She did not begin preschool until last year and is in Kindergarden this year.  My youngest is in pre-school this year.  We are facing a variet of challenges with the oldest.  She is non-verbal.  We have been going to speech therapy for her so hopefully sometime soon we will see a little progress.  I am currently trying to potty train her as well. I was wondering if anyone had any effective ways in doing so. When I say she has shown no interest in potty training, i mean 0 interest.  I have tried bringing her in with me when i go, I have had her watch her sister, we have tried books.  If I bring her in with myself or my sister she is like ok can we go do something else.  I dont know what I need to do to drum up her interest in it.  We have seen a variety of doctors over the past couple years and they always say she needs to be the one to decide when she is going to potty train.  I understand that, but its a lot easier to say than it is to do I guess.  I have tried not using a diaper with her hoping that would maybe help some, but when she would have an accident she would take it out of her pants and I would find it on the floor, under her bed, in her toybox, so I went back to diapers.  She also hates wearing clothes which I have seen others have experienced too.  Doesn't matter if its 80 or 30 outside she hates wearing clothes.  Well I should get to bed, but I appreciate that this group is here for us.  I look forward to meeting others on here.  It helps knowing you're not alone with what we are going through.

Have a good day and happy holidays to everyone!!

Allison

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Eve-marie
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Hi, Allison. I'm Eve. My oldest is also autistic, was nonverbal until about 7, and only started pooping in the bathroom at 6. The psychologist suggested schedules, I got a book, tried songs, nothing worked. I started leaving him without pampers for a short time every day and then he started urinating in the bathroom so I took the pampers away. He began to come get me and pull me to the pampers when he had to poo. Then he started putting them on himself, and getting me to take them off. Then he started taking them off himself, emptying them into the toilet like he saw me do, and using wet wipes. He made a mess, I hid the pampers. One evening he couldn't find them and he went to the toilet all by himself, flushed and took a shower. You can see, the progression he made. First getting used to having pampers only part of the time, getting them off when they were dirty. To help with this you could put one on after she has eaten, and take it off when it's dirty but don't put on another one. She will see you empty it in the loo so she knows that's where it goes. Having said that it is a spectrum, and each kid's level of understanding is different. Also, she could have a sensory issue, where she doesn't know she is soiling herself, and will just see it on the floor or whatever. Therapies can help with this, a book of textures, stroking her with feathers and brushes and different materials, stuff like that. It's a long, confusing ride, but it can get better. Good luck with everything.

mamajack824
by New Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM

hi! I am the parent of a 25 yo woman in the spectrum. I have other posts, probably in archives, on the "girls on the sprectrum, and "autistic children, explaing the challenges and fun of raising our girls... I recommend that you hold conversations with her to talk about what she would like or not, non-verbal does not mean she does not understand. I found with my DD, she explained that tight fitting clothes irrated her skin. Yor DD probably has a "tactile issue." Has she ever undergone a sensory test through OT? I found that she was delayed in feeling certain textures, we found what she liked or did not know... so we went around gathering things for her tactile training... We found that she like loose fitting clothes, like soft flannel, no fur, riffles, or stiff materials, tight pants were a no-no, except now as an adult she has a slim, petite form that wears a good slim boot leg cut, now, a gradual change that was learned by me... I had to forgo my "idea," of what I wanted as a DD, and work with her as she matured into textures and things, such as food. Now, when I was wondering, if you considered placing her "big girl panties," over her diapers? I used this method for my DD, and I used her favorite candy to be eaten only on the potty, ater she sat for the increasing time periodon the timer... I increased from one minute to half hour for bowel movements... I learned her movement schedule, by recording her eat/digest/defecate/urinate cycle that my Mother, family, friends, and school helped me, because there was a change from school, home weekdays/ends. I even got matching panty colors to match her to try to get her into similiarities, it was like a game for her to focus, on. We also, made a "potty band when she completed the time, adding instruments as she increased her skill. I used my family to announce the "big step," she took to sit on the potty, with excited, encouraging phone calls where the called person commended her... I recommend that you try starting some simple sign language skills there is one called baby signing that issimple, because theere are babies that teach her. I know nook has it. Well, I have to cook, but, I have posts here, that might help you in the girls on the spectrum, and autism sites, I hope they help...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN