Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS)

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:04 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 213 Total Views

Are any of you using PECS at home? How did you start?

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Unicorn1110
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Since my son is verbal the whole system did not work for my son. But, as a visual reminder to navigate the day we are still using it at home and he is 20. Started at school when he was in kindergarten. The book can be expenisve to buy so we started with magazine pic we laminated ourselve and put velcro on the back. Now we use checklists with black and white drawings-"Ya know I am not a baby any more mom". We went to that when he was about 16. 

GamerzWife
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:50 AM
There's an actual book? I guess I need to be better at using google. Lol.

They do want to grow up don't they?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Amai
by New Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:41 PM
My son is 11 and he still uses PECS and a voice output device. He started using pecs at 4. We started with real pictures, big ones too. Over time we made smaller and smaller pictures. Now he uses both real pictures and pecs pictures. He is doing great. I didn't know there was a pecs book, I got all his pecs pictures from his teachers and they laminated the pictures I took.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GamerzWife
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I know his teacher talked about giving us some stuff. He is riding the bus to his "pres-school" tomorrow... so I don't think I'll be able to really get more information from them.

I just found the book online. It seems awfully expensive... and better to just make yourself anyway... maybe?

megandwade
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 5:55 PM

My son is 2. We've just started using the pictures but I think he is to young for some of it. It did help with learning routine. I could show him a picture of the bathtub at bath time and he will go straight to the bathroom and at night time i show him a picture of his bed and he understands it is time to lay down.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)