Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to potty train a nonverbal toddler

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:20 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 404 Total Views

Hello there ladies I have a alomost four year old autistic daughter I want to start potty training her but shes nonverbal. What methods do you ladies use to teach pottytraini your nonverbal kids. I think its just so hard. I have a one year old that uses diapers already so money wise its too expensive. Please any successful stories and tools I can use.

by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TinaNicu
by Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:36 PM
4 moms liked this
I successfully PT my nonverbal 3 yr old with the help of my ABA therapist. It was intensive. You will need at least 3 days of one on one time with your child so get someone to help you with your other child during this time.
It took me about one week to be mostly pee trained and about 6 months for BMs.
In a nutshell, you start out in the bathroom with your child naked. This is because you can see them start urinating as soon as it starts. Every time they start peeing, place her on the potty immediately and do not say anything until they are done. Praise like crazy if they finish on the potty and reward them with a highly desirable item (reserved only for potty training). With every 3 successful initiations on their part (going to the potty before she pees), you can add another room in the house that they can access until all rooms are accessible. This took almost 3 days to accomplish. After all rooms are accessible, you can add one layer of clothes for every 3 successful self initiated urinations on the potty.
You have to push lots of fluids so that she pees more frequently. Have plenty of entertainment on hand since you'll be stuck in the bathroom for a while. But keep the rewards separate but visible for motivation. She cannot wear a diaper at all while she is awake. It is a big commitment bu it will work. I did both of my kids this way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
crossnlilly
by Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:50 PM
We used pictures of the toilet and she would point to them to let us know she had to go. Now she will walk us to the door. We just kept putting her on the potty until she got the hang of it. Pooping was harder we let her take her iPad in with her or a toy or book. Just something that will keep her focused enough to go. We still have accidents but thankfully my budget on pull ups is about 1/4 of what it was costing. Good luck to you. Just have patience she will get it.
jacky7141
by Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 11:58 PM
Thanx a million ladies and happy holidays
Amai
by New Member on Dec. 22, 2012 at 12:19 AM
I went the ABA way like TinaNicu. It really works but it is a big commitment because you have to watch them like a hawk all day. I trained both mine over the summer since they have to be naked from the waist down.
GOOD LUCK
Mpiggy4u
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Hi we tired when our son was about too to try potty training he was fine the the fight started Now he pulls down hid diaper pee in his pants or tells us he has stinky try to change himself  I re tired he won't sit on potty I just bought potty training book with autism our soen as test DEC 17 for autism

MSROCKY
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:43 PM

The potty we bought my son didn't work for him.  I don't think he liked it and he notice he was the only one using it.  He wanted to use the toilet like everyone else.  Children mimic others -  whether kids or adults.  I had no idea how and lost my patience, so I kept with the pull-ups.  Once I stopped harrassing him every 10 min about the "potty", he eventually did it on his own.  And because my son was also non-verbal, I showed him by taking him to the bathroom with me!  I showed him how I wiped and - (you get what I'm saying).  I did the same with brushing my teeth and everything else.  If they watch you do it constantly they will get the routine.  Its the routine that make them understand...

amynlee
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I am going to go read all the replies but i dont want to forget to tell you that if your child has medicaid thru whereever you live you might be able to get diapers for your 4yo, my daughter has gotten diapers/pullups thru her insurance for the last couple years she is verbal but still is out of touch with reality 99 percent of the time, deathly afriad of pooping in the toilet to the point she will hold it in for weeks thank god for miralax! , but all my doctor did was write a perscription and sent it to a home delivery company.. you should try and see, :)

hippiechick123
by New Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:45 AM
For my kids I made a picture board and we had a chart. Everytime they used the potty they put a sticker. 5 stickers equaled a reward. It could be as simple as a specail snack or a favorite movie with mom. Plus we read the story once upon a potty a lot of times.
hippiechick123
by New Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:45 AM
For my kids I made a picture board and we had a chart. Everytime they used the potty they put a sticker. 5 stickers equaled a reward. It could be as simple as a specail snack or a favorite movie with mom. Plus we read the story once upon a potty a lot of times.
ToYnyc
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:59 PM

my son was non verbal at three and it took me 2 years to train him, but he never regressed. i stuck to a routine of going to the potty every 30 minutes, he never wore diapers in the house, only big boy under wear, because when he wet or soiled himself i wanted him to feel the discomfort. everytime he did something in the potty he got lots of praise and rewarded with something he likes. The only reason it took 2 years is because he still had accidents when we went out, so i had to get into the routine of taking him to public bathrooms so that he understood that going to the potty isnt just a home activity. as he became more verbal he would tell me when he had to go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)