Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Medicine

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:36 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 192 Total Views

Can someone please give me some pointers on getting medicine in my DS? He has a bit of a fever and seriously.. its like giving medicine to a wild tiger. I can't give it to him straight up in a teaspoon or little cup... Ive tried to put it in a syringe in his cheek, he spits it in my face. I tried mixing it in juice, he might drink a few sips before saying, "Grosssssssssss....." It's such a battle!

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
TinaNicu
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:50 AM
Have you tried bribery? You can always give him a choice; oral or rectal. Haha! My kid responds to this. How old is he?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Apple1
The strongest people are not those who show strength in front of us but those who win battles we know nothing about.
Yesterday at 1:47 PM
by Head Admin on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM

How much medicine do you have to give him?  If it's a teaspoon, I would try mixing in like 1/8th of a tsp. in a couple of ounces of orange juice at a time, that way it won't be so strong...might be worth a try...Will he drink a large amount of juice at once?  If he will drink 3-4 ounces you could try it that way...the more juice the less taste (mixing it all in at once)

fromAutismwlove
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I feel your pain. I still have a stain on my kitchen ceiling from 7 years ago. :) I have tried painting it and it just bleeds through.

I started using homeopathic medication because they disolve in the kids mouth without taste. If you are interested Hyland and Bioron are the two best brands that I have found. Just google or look for at your local health food store.

Good Luck!

~ Jamie

kinshipcaremama
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM
I bribe my NT 3y/o with a sip of soda after he takes his medicine. He NEVER gets soda so it's a real treat. My son with Autism was great about taking his meds. (He had chronic ear infections from 5 weeks old so it was routine for him.)
Gtochic
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:13 PM

suppository ones are awesome, u can get higher mg on amazon, doesn't help now but lifesaver later

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)