Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Medicine

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:36 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 204 Total Views

Can someone please give me some pointers on getting medicine in my DS? He has a bit of a fever and seriously.. its like giving medicine to a wild tiger. I can't give it to him straight up in a teaspoon or little cup... Ive tried to put it in a syringe in his cheek, he spits it in my face. I tried mixing it in juice, he might drink a few sips before saying, "Grosssssssssss....." It's such a battle!

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
TinaNicu
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:50 AM
Have you tried bribery? You can always give him a choice; oral or rectal. Haha! My kid responds to this. How old is he?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Apple1
by Head Admin on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM

How much medicine do you have to give him?  If it's a teaspoon, I would try mixing in like 1/8th of a tsp. in a couple of ounces of orange juice at a time, that way it won't be so strong...might be worth a try...Will he drink a large amount of juice at once?  If he will drink 3-4 ounces you could try it that way...the more juice the less taste (mixing it all in at once)

fromAutismwlove
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I feel your pain. I still have a stain on my kitchen ceiling from 7 years ago. :) I have tried painting it and it just bleeds through.

I started using homeopathic medication because they disolve in the kids mouth without taste. If you are interested Hyland and Bioron are the two best brands that I have found. Just google or look for at your local health food store.

Good Luck!

~ Jamie

kinshipcaremama
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM
I bribe my NT 3y/o with a sip of soda after he takes his medicine. He NEVER gets soda so it's a real treat. My son with Autism was great about taking his meds. (He had chronic ear infections from 5 weeks old so it was routine for him.)
Gtochic
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:13 PM

suppository ones are awesome, u can get higher mg on amazon, doesn't help now but lifesaver later

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN