Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism vs. mimicking classmates?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:43 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 604 Total Views
Hello, new-to-autism and to the group mom here! My 4 year old son was diagnosed by the school district last month after he was recommended for evaluation by his preschool teacher last November. While I've always felt my son needed a little more....supervision...at times I never expected or even considered autism, and after lots and lots of reading up on the disorder I don't really see any of it that fits my son (I know it's a SPECTRUM and that each case is differentiate, but surely he'd display SOME kind of behavior that fit?). I'm not trying to deny it, just trying to understand it! Anyway, he has been attending a special autism day class now for about 3 weeks. In those 3 weeks he is suddenly displaying "behaviors" that fit the descriptions of autism that I have read. However, he also started displaying different behaviors when he started his first preschool, behaviors I know he picked up from classmates. How do I know if the behaviors he is displaying now are simply those he mimics of his new classmates, or his "autism" becoming more obvious?
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Unicorn1110
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Wow.I understand your dilema. When my son was first dx in the  late 90's I thought he was just immature and needed speech. They came back with PDS-NOS. ( hope I have that right) The Internetwas in it's infancy and everything came back as autism. My son at first even now at 20 will sometimes pick up other behaviors but then level off. I like him to be with regular students at times so he will pick up more social acceptable  behaviors. When he is by himself he still stims and other behaviors but mostly under stress but than everying stress him. Good Luck

hwyangel
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Mimicking is a symptom of autism.

kinshipcaremama
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:16 AM
I'd say if you are doubting the academic DX you should request an independent evaluation. The school district will even pay for it at your request. I had it done with my son once and then the school district sent us back at his next 3 year evaluation. You could also get a second opinion on your own if you choose. A medical DX is important for out of school services and support if needed. Good luck with your little guy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RobinSamRyan
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Since when are school districts doing doctor's jobs by diagnosing children?  You should take your son to a doctor and have him evaluated.  In Florida, the school may advise you that they suspect your child has autism or ADHD or whatever but they do not diagnose the child.  They refer to a doctor for official diagnosis and the school here will not label the child until they receive an official diagnosis from an MD.  That's all we need is our school system doing the diagnosis of our children, a little conflict of interest, don't you think?  Hang in there and take your son to a real evaluation by a board certified doctor!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)