Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

signs of autism in toddler please help

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:28 PM
  • 17 Replies
  • 1080 Total Views
Hi everyone,

I have been babysitting a child for 10 hours a day every Friday for the past 3 months. She turned 2 a month ago. I know it is early to diagnose anything, but she displays certain traits I feel may coincide with Autism. I would love some feedback from parents whose children fall in the spectrum. I will list what I have seen :

She walks on her toes constantly. I have only seen her flat footed twice, each time was only for about 15 seconds tops.

She only attempts to say 2 words: ball and up. She moans a lot, and I go over names of things constantly. she shows no interest in learning and no progression.

Her hands. She gets lost for 10 minute increments staring at her hands, lost in her own world. She moves her right hand in a twisted flapping motion that almost seems involuntary.

She rarely responds to her name and if she does she will be looking away and moan.

She usually doesn't make eye contact with me.

Most of the time she prefers to play by herself. Occasionally my 4 year old can get her excited when he runs around the house making noises, but her interest fades quickly.

She doesn't remember how to play with toys. I will show her stacking rings and how to roll a ball, but she has yet to try to do them.

She is very attached to her silly cup. She doesn't have a favorite stuffed animal or blanket, but when she is here she will not put her cup down. She carries it the way a kid carries their favorite stuffed dog.

She won't tell me what she want or try to point to it. I will watch her struggle with stuff but she won't call out or bring things to me if she needs help. If I try to show her how to do something, she throws a horrible shrieking tantrum.

She throws a horrible fit that lasts for an hour when she is dropped off. It is like she can't handle the change of scenery even after all this time.

That is all I can think of right now. What do you think?
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melissa7762
by New Member on May. 25, 2013 at 6:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you talked to the child's mother about your concerns? I would recommend doing this first and then have the child's pediatrician involved. Most states have early intervention services and she should be evaluated ASAP.
TinaNicu
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 7:03 AM
2 moms liked this
Lots of red flags there. You are right to be concerned.
FireMoonGypsy
by New Member on May. 25, 2013 at 7:52 AM
I have spoken with her about my concerns...she seemed concerned herself and said she would do something,but she has yet to tell me if she has followed through on speaking with her pediatrician. Yesterday I mentioned that the girl's shrieking episodes in the morning during that transition period are growing longer and it is becoming more difficult to console her. She wants to say it is just separation anxiety, but I feel the problems are deeper than that. I don't want to over step boundaries, but I really feel the girl should be checked out. I only have my son and infant daughter to compare experiences to, but she is a toddler who moans like my infant, she is having such a hard time communicating. My son I feel was slower to speak and I wasn't sure if he was putting enough words together, so to be safe I had him checked out. I hope the girl's mother follows through, then the child can get the help she needs.
sadali
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely she has red flags.Your observation is marvelous.Early diagnosis will help parents a lot.

FireMoonGypsy
by New Member on May. 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

She is a younger mom at 25 and newly single. I thought maybe some of the child's learning delays were from lack of parenting or she was emotionally stunted from some of the fighting that occurred in front of her before the parents divorced, but it has to be more than that. The mom seems in denial about some of it, which I understand; I'm sure it is difficult wrapping your brain around the idea that there could be problems. I feel it's better to get help as early as possible. I don't want to pester her, but the kid needs help. You would have wanted to know if someone spotted signs in your child, right? How should I approach her? She needs to understand these are not just behavioral issues brought on by the dad  letting her do whatever she wants at his place, but if I'm too pushy I feel like she could shut down. Any advice? 

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on May. 25, 2013 at 7:09 PM
3 moms liked this

Yes she does sound like she has Autism , You might want to explain it to her this way ' .. If she gets her little girl diagnosed soon she can get her on disablity benefits from SSI' , also with talking to her about it' telling her the signs of autism that you see are not out of concern for her being a bad mom or the bad relationship she had wit her ex !! Denial is something a 25 year old mom would have that is so normal to not want to cope with such a huge massive change and having to think that the rest of her life is going to be spent on taking care of a child that has autism  isn't going to be easy .. Sooner or later she is going to have to deal with it . It is not going to go away :( that is the saddest part really iis a lifetime of care I love my son dont get me wrong Just saying ! ............ As for what you have seen you planted the seed for her now it is up to her take root and we all no deep inside of her she must no that something isn't right she said it was from trauma or separation disorder what ever that is called idk " that the little one went through , so right there tells you she understand and see that her daughter is not meeting her milestones ...How VERY SAD ....... Good luck in my Group Support group for moms who have children with autism there is a a couple of new moms that have just joined the group maybe going and checking out the picture we sent to them and the reply's from the mamma's there can help you some also . Good luck honey and your an amazing friend .. Here is the link to my Group just click on it and it will take you there ..................

GROUP OWNER  Just click on my name to visit! 
JaniceAutism-1.gif picture by janicegodblessSUPPORT GROUP FOR MOM'S WHO HAVE CHILDREN WITH AUTISM

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on May. 26, 2013 at 3:57 PM

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on May. 26, 2013 at 3:59 PM

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on May. 26, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on May. 26, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

PLEASE THERE IS A GROUP ON HERE EDUCATE BEFORE YOU VACCINATE HERE IS THE LINK ' , GROUP TO SEE IF YOUR CHILD HAS BEEN VACCINE INJURED .. Or you have noticed after there 2 yr old vaccinations you have seen them regress this is the group to go too be more informed about Educating your children before vaccinating .
http://www.cafemom.com/group/37382

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)