Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

when did your child stop eloping/running off?

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:09 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 336 Total Views

This is addressed towards those with children who USED to elope/run off but does not do it anymore.

How long did they have a problem eloping?]

What if anything did you do to curb it?

When did he/she stop doing it?

Mine is 6 years old and has a major problem with this. I have to hold his hand constantly or have him locked in a room/house so he doesn't escape and run in the street. I'm afraid we'll never be able to fix this. We've tried ABA techniques but it still happens.

TIA

by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on Jun. 1, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I Understand your fear it called wandering , there has been 4 children with autism in the last 2 month who have drowned due to wandering off , Your not alone . I too at one time had to have locks on both sides of are doors and an alarm system that would chime every-time somebody open the door it very scary , twice when he was younger I had to pick him up at the police station . This was 20 years ago & thank God I taught Kyle how to swim due to him getting out of the house here we i live and climbing over the rod iron gate how he got over it i have no idea but he was in the pool GOD MY HEARTACHS' for these parents who just lost there children to wander away and yes it happens so fast .. There is some web site that are trying to help us parents by sending you GPS that they wear and other gear for you also .. Here the web-site and i hope and pray that this summer ever parent teaches your little one how to swim even if you just go out and buy a cheap little pool you can teach them how to float above the water .. Good luck honey and I feel for you . !!!!!!!!! HERE IS THE LINK I HOPE YOU CONTACT THEM ASAP .........

http://www.projectlifesaver.org/

TinaNicu
by Member on Jun. 2, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Thank you for your reply. We already have the safety net by lo jack device on him for a year now. I had swimming lessons for more than a year but then we moved and have not been able to re enroll. I am concerned about him being hit by a car because he runs out in the street without looking. When did your son stop eloping?

Quoting MommyJanice44:

I Understand your fear it called wandering , there has been 4 children with autism in the last 2 month who have drowned due to wandering off , Your not alone . I too at one time had to have locks on both sides of are doors and an alarm system that would chime every-time somebody open the door it very scary , twice when he was younger I had to pick him up at the police station . This was 20 years ago & thank God I taught Kyle how to swim due to him getting out of the house here we i live and climbing over the rod iron gate how he got over it i have no idea but he was in the pool GOD MY HEARTACHS' for these parents who just lost there children to wander away and yes it happens so fast .. There is some web site that are trying to help us parents by sending you GPS that they wear and other gear for you also .. Here the web-site and i hope and pray that this summer ever parent teaches your little one how to swim even if you just go out and buy a cheap little pool you can teach them how to float above the water .. Good luck honey and I feel for you . !!!!!!!!! HERE IS THE LINK I HOPE YOU CONTACT THEM ASAP .........

http://www.projectlifesaver.org/

soccer_2_mayte
by New Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 3:39 AM

My children are 4 and 6, both on the spectrum, both runners.  My 4 year old has always been worst about wondering off, running than my 6 year old.  We are still working consistenly, and it is no where near what it used to be.  We can now take them out to different places, but will, for a while, have to do things differently than other parents.  We use a lot of visual aids that have made a tremendous difference, we use strong reinforcers that are more interesting to them than running off.  We have a stop and go sign that we use constantly when in public, talking walks etc, that has helped a lot.  We prime them a lot as well before we even walk out the door so they know what we are expeciting them to do, with clear rules and consequences they are able to understand, along with the reinforcers.  

Hope this helps.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)