Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

melt downs please help!

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:22 PM
  • 18 Replies
  • 438 Total Views
1 mom liked this
My son is 4yrs old.He has classic autism.He has been starting out with crying and then he goes into a full melt down out of no where.I noticed he does it more with the tv on so I cut tv out.He is still doing it though.I can not figure out why.He does have SPD so mabye sensory?If so what?What can I do?
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anony111
by New Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 10:34 PM

At four even non-autistic kids still have meltdowns, because they can't express their feelings properly using words.  What works with mine - she's 10 - is that we told her whenever she's losing control or having a meltdown we hug each other really tightly until its over. And don't try to talk your LO out of it, or try to get them to stop crying. Usually after a few minutes they will stop on their own because they're worn out.  Just getting the frustration out makes dealing with the situation better after the meltdown. 

mogadishukim
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried deep pressure techniques? Sensory kids can sometimes be calmed by deep pressure.

ConnieHammer
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with anony111 about the frustration that comes from not being able to communicate or express feelings appropriately. Try anything you can do to enhance communication - Do you use visuals? PECS? Label his feelings for him "Your face tells me you are frustrated. . . " and find ways to help him express his feelings.

I know this suggestion sounds time consuming but it works - track his meltdowns/behaviors and try to identify the trigger(s). Then you can eliminate them. Kudos to you for identifying the TV as a trigger and taking action. Yes, look for sensory issues (the TV may have been too much visual stimulation). Do you have Carol Kranowitz's book The Out-of-Sync Child? It has a questionnaire for every sense that will help you make a pretty accurate assessment of your child's sensory issues. Also, here is a link to the Sensory Processing Disorder Checklist that is very similar. http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/sensory-processing-disorder-checklist.html

Good luck!

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Here is the link to click on that Connie sent for ya .. Yes as far sensory issues we live in the dark ; ( he could be in pain too just never no with are kiddo's great advice above for you to start checking into for some help good luck mommmas . 
http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/sensory-processing-disorder-checklist.html

amberklo
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:57 AM
Thank you : )

Quoting MommyJanice44:

Here is the link to click on that Connie sent for ya .. Yes as far sensory issues we live in the dark ; ( he could be in pain too just never no with are kiddo's great advice above for you to start checking into for some help good luck mommmas . 
http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/sensory-processing-disorder-checklist.html

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I have  been thinking about you' Have your tried Probiotic for his tummy ' , Kyle would act up for hours upon hours with his stomach hurting him , the only way I knew it was his stomach due to he was non verbal until the age of 7 , he would grab me and have me lay on his stomach he has to put pressure on it he would not go to the bathroom reugluar everyday it finally started to help him after a few month of him being on the MPS-GOLD 100 Powder .which is very expensive but they have many different brands of Probiotics & aloe vera is what is in the MPS-GOLD .. Also what I do with my son is when I start to see him going into full meltdown mode is get there minds off of what it is they are thinking as fast as you can onto something other then what they might be obsession on or what it is that is bother them .. for instance I will tell Kyle to come look at the clouds anything that your child like redirect there attentionon to something else . Redirecting them HELP'S A LOT ........... Good luck and the lights even bother them, loud sounds bother them , food and the smell of foods bother them , trial and error and you will soon figure out what it is that is making him cry . Best of luck to you .. My heart go's out to you and your little one . hugs .. p.s a mini trampoline helped Kyle too I set it in front of the t.v for him to just jump up and down on he loved that .. Weighted vest too I have heard helps also and the brushing of there skin .. Awwhhhhhh lots of lots of ideas . Each one of are children are so different so what works for one might not work for the other that is where it get tough ... Let us no how your doing ??? 

rhiannonaisling
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Is it possible it is noise related? If so, try noise canceling headphones. If they start because you say no then there is not much you can do about it.

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:46 PM

What is noise canceling headphones ? if anything in time they learn to adjust to the sounds being loud , you have to desensitize them just like with them not liking there hair being brushed in time after you have done it over and over they learn as they grow slowly to get used to that sensation .. If your child is severely as autistic as my son saying no is very harmful due to they can not help they way they are feeling inside ... Not sure what you meant on this one reply !!!!!!

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

Is it possible it is noise related? If so, try noise canceling headphones. If they start because you say no then there is not much you can do about it.

rhiannonaisling
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I am 28 and there are still sounds that trigger me! Noise canceling headphones are over the ear headphones that have a large cushion around the speaker portion and block out almost all noise. They will also be packaged as noise canceling headphones. You can get them on amazon for as little as 12 bucks but the brand that I have heard is best is "ear defender" and for kids they run about 20 on Amazon. You can also get something similar in the gun section of stores that are for deadening noises and won't have the cord.

Quoting MommyJanice44:

What is noise canceling headphones ? if anything in time they learn to adjust to the sounds being loud , you have to desensitize them just like with them not liking there hair being brushed in time after you have done it over and over they learn as they grow slowly to get used to that sensation .. If your child is severely as autistic as my son saying no is very harmful due to they can not help they way they are feeling inside ... Not sure what you meant on this one reply !!!!!!

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

rhiannonaisling
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Also, no doesn't have to be said as no...it can be done by redirecting attention to a favored activity it is just easier to call it sauing no. My son has "moved up" in his diagnosis because he was so young when tested and had no communication. He communicates better...though still no feelings. Now that he communicates better he melts down less. And yes he may eventually become less sensitive to noise but there may always be places where he is sensitive. And you could put him in charge of the headphones so that he can use them only when he feels overwhelmed.

Quoting MommyJanice44:

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)