Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my autistic son wants to be outside all day and has tantrums while indoors

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 519 Total Views
I need advice on how to get my son to wanna be inside the house and not have a tantrum or bad behavior,.he slams and kicks doors inside and when he's outside he's well behaved and calm,does anyone have any idea why he doesn't like being inside and how I can help to make his enviroment a more appealing one for him?I live with my boyfriend and his family so I struggle with his behavior since this is not my home I cannot let him destroy it and he won't listen so how can I get him to understand me?and be well behaved inside
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mikeandlisa08
by New Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Omg. That is the same problem I have with my three year old son as well. When I pull him in the home safely I try to have one of his favorite activities waiting for him.
Eve-marie
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Does he like computer games? My son plays Mario on the laptop or Wii and he is perfectly happy to do that. His calculator is a constant companion and he is always writing number or words he knows. He also watches cooking videos on YouTube, or Fred Hammond. Find something he likes. It is also quite possible he is reacting to something in the home that bothers him. 

mlo89
by Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks a lot for the advice.my son loves to watch mickey mouse on youtube and to take pictures with the cell phone ..I haven't tried showing him games but I really wanna see if that would work for him..he's been more calm now he might of been like this for a while because he just moved in to this house so I know it may be hard for him to change routine..I'm hopeful that he will stop he has the tantrums less each day
Kimjergen
by New Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I know it sounds a bit strange, but it could be the lighting, maybe try experimenting with changing from over head lights to floor or table lamps etc.  Many times flourecent bother autistics, also maybe even experiment with curtains or blinds to find if certain rooms have more desirable lighting for him etc.  ( he might like rooms with more natural lighting, visible window views etc.  Also try and talk about it with him, something is making him experience a sensory overload from being inside the house.  Is it too cluttered, are the colors loud, is there a loud or vibrating a/c or fan, is there too much or too little background or white noise? How is his interaction and comfort zone with your boyfriends family?  Work to make him more comfortable sensory wise with the environment and the people he shares it with.

mlo89
by Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Thanks that was very helpful..I will try it, he is mostly non verbal so he can't describe what he is feeling,his relationship with myboyfriends fam is good I have problems with my boyfriend. Accepting him it is very hard and he doesn't wanna be good with my son, is there any hope or should I let the relationship go? I been with him for 2 year's he was good till I got. Pregnant with his son
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)