Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

COULD IT BE AUTISM?

Posted by on May. 7, 2007 at 7:58 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 250 Total Views
My little boy is 18 months old and is dignosed with sensory integration disorder. But could it be more. My son has many autistic tendencies including alot of self-stim, he does not respond to his name or directions, He only speaks 1-3 words and rarely uses them or babbles (which he used to do normally but has all but stopped), He is seems to be very smart. However he makes eye contact normally. What do you all think could it be something more than SID?
Thanks,
Wanderingalice
by on May. 7, 2007 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
vanessadalton25
by Member on May. 7, 2007 at 8:06 PM
My four year old is autistic. (we just found out this year.) I also have another little one he's now twenty four months old. He only had a handful of words at that age but he hit twenty months and went from nothing to full sentences. (I'm not even kidding.) My four year old at that age knew tons of words but never made eye contact, we've always thought he seemed very bright and I thought he'd just grow out of his odditys.  I do think that all children develop differently. Since you know he has SID I would keep a close eye on him and share your concerns with his dr.
AngieMcK
by Member on May. 7, 2007 at 8:12 PM
My best advice to you is have him evaluated by a Developmental Pediatrician. My son John is autistic and has a lot of sensory issues too. Often the two go hand in hand. I would definitely look into it.
Angie
http://www.cafemom.com/home/AngieMcK
widespreadpanic
by Co-Owner on May. 7, 2007 at 8:14 PM
It could also be Mercury poisoning. Autism and Mercury poisoning look identical.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)