Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is recovery possible?

Posted by on May. 7, 2007 at 10:40 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 569 Total Views
I was wondering,is recovering from autism possible,the reason I ask is becasue my almost 7 year old son Danny was diagnosed at the age of 21/2 with PDD-autism! At that particular time he did fit the criteria for Autism,with the constant need for the spinning fan,strict routine,example he was used to his Godmother picking him up for visits alone,well his godfather came with her one time and he totally flipped out;also in DayCare,he could not handle circle time,he would have to be in a corner by himself;he would freak out if anyone there would try to pick him up so they did the "Jiggles" with him it is a sensory therapy,had violent outbursts for No reason at the age of 31/2,u could not calm him at those times,hardly any language,etc.  Now he is almost 7,he 's very energetic,happy,affectionate,loves to work in the garage with his dad,he constantly asks me what day it is,what the weather is like in each season,is obsessed with tractors and constantly has to watch the movie Ice Age but,at the same time wants to make friends wants to be around other kids but not play indirectly with them;I don't know maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part or fear he's not getting the right help! If anyone has any thoughts on this or imputs,please feel free to tell!
by on May. 7, 2007 at 10:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
123kat
by on May. 7, 2007 at 10:55 PM
I'd be interested in what others have to say about this, too.  I've heard of kids "losing the diagnosis".  Wonder if it's happened to anyone's here kids?  Or is it they just learn how to cope/deal with their differences.  Is THAT the recovery?
ArilyMarie
by on May. 8, 2007 at 12:20 AM
I'm not sure if "recovery" is the right word so much as "managing it" is. I do know that for sure, as communication gets better so does the Autism. It's like as they mature verbally and have become used to the way that the world operates around them and become more socially aware, the Autism takes a back seat. For instance, my son seemed to learn, out of no where, cognitive reasoning and comprehension. It was as if all of a sudden, he realized what the words to the books he was reading meant and now, we are having all of these conversations and discussions. I mean, somewhere a switch was flicked on and now it's like I finally have my little boy where he should be. We talk about things that I only dreamed that we would talk about. Now, sometimes of course, I don't understand everything he is saying because he's only 4yr ols but it's amazing to me how Autism can "claim a victim" in minute and almost "release him from custody" the next. I really do believe in a sense that it is like a recovery but then when I sit back and really look at him, I still catch him stimming or he still shows a sign or two of his sensory integration issues. I don't think that it will ever truly "go" away. It can be managed and I do believe strongly that Autism can be "overcome" to a large degree but unless they find a cure, It will not go away.
busypddmom
by on May. 8, 2007 at 8:02 PM
Wow..Wish there were recovery. As far as I know from literature, psychiatrist, physcian's, therapist there is no such thing. However I am certainly not an M.D. so I would suggest speaking with your Dr. ect to find out what is going on. Maybe it's just a miracle. I believe they still exist!!!
Liz
MyBun
by Member on May. 8, 2007 at 10:01 PM
I have heard and read about children "recovering" (not ured)  from autism, but it is not a typical outcome.  The ones that I know had recovered did so after several (5 to 8) years of INTENSE  ABA therapy (about 8 hours per day).  When "recovery" does happen, it is in only about 8 - 10% of children diagnosed who have had this intense therapy.

My son has been in ABA therapy (5 hours per day) for about 6 months now and we have seen tremendous progress.  We still have a long way to go, but all is good when we are moving forward.  The gap is definitely closing in between his developmental age and his chronological age.  When we started ABA he was developmentally 9-10 months old and chronologically 4 years old.  Now his developmental age is about 24 months old and he is chronologically 4.5 years old.   In other words, he "grew" developmentally 14 months in 6 months time.  That is good news.

If you are wondering if your child is recovered, check with a neurologist or behaviorial pediatrican and have him re-evaluated.  It is always worth a shot, right?

Good luck and hope your hunch is a good one!
Cyndie

littlejjsmommy
by Member on May. 8, 2007 at 10:04 PM
Recovery!!!! I'm not sure, but I know some kids do better with therapy and alot of work. I'm always hoping my son would be one of those kids, but now I know it may not be possible for him to get better. I didn't add the fact that he is multiple disable and has lot more going on than we though at firts.
mhershey
by Member on May. 8, 2007 at 10:34 PM
I don't think  its as much recovery as it is coping. I have heard of people and read of people who have children, and go through all this therapy and there children seem normal happy kids. Bill Gates I hear is Autistic. My nieghbors hubby has Asperger's now he seems normal at first, but when you start to get to know him he is a little quirky.
Pauladenise
by Member on May. 9, 2007 at 12:22 AM
My friend says her husband used to have autism.  He didn't speak until he was 6 years old. My son is five.  We were in Key West and a man that had been watching Jordan in line walked over to my husband and told him what a cute boy we had.  He said, he's autistic isnt' he.  My husband said yes.  The guy smiled at  my husband and said don't worry I used to be autistic as well.  I don't know what to think about either one.
sucre
by on May. 9, 2007 at 3:08 PM

Quoting Pauladenise:

My friend says her husband used to have autism.  He didn't speak until he was 6 years old. My son is five.  We were in Key West and a man that had been watching Jordan in line walked over to my husband and told him what a cute boy we had.  He said, he's autistic isnt' he.  My husband said yes.  The guy smiled at  my husband and said don't worry I used to be autistic as well.  I don't know what to think about either one.

A neighbor of ours told us his older brother didn't speak until he was 8.  He was given the autistic diagnosis.  He remembered all the stress and his mother's crying.  35 years later...his brother is married, has children and works for the government. 

I look at the glass half full....as opposed to half empty...and I have a feeling my son will be alright.  I see him changing every day.  :-)
serialmommy
by Member on May. 10, 2007 at 1:38 PM
i don't think it's recovery really, i think it's more adaptation than anything...building up a tolerance for the "normal" world....
mum2one
by Member on May. 12, 2007 at 7:09 PM
I know what you mean, my son has improved so much in the last 4 months since he's been going to school 5 days a week and getting OT, ST, and FT. He's gone from this little boy who just last Christmas screamed and forced my husband and I to leave my parents home early ,to this past April where he was running up to everyone in the house hugging them and playing with them. I don't think it matters if our children reach what is called recovery, after all what does that mean. I just want my son to find his way in the world where he can have relationships, work and be content with his life and the more improvements I see the more I am encouraged that , that will happen.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)