Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does this sound like autism?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 7:50 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 473 Total Views
my son is speech delayed, requires routine, poor eye contact and socailly delayed. I seem to be getting no answers from his doctor right now how long does it take to tell if he is or isn't
by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 7:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Member on Feb. 25, 2007 at 10:01 PM
You know if your getting no where with your physician then find a physician who is well versed in Autism.  There are pediatricians out there (not as many as we'd like) who can recognize the possible symptoms.  The pediatrician (if he or she is a good one) will then guide you to visit a neurophysician who will properly diagnose your child with whatever it is they may have.  Early intervention can not be stated enough times.  My son was diagnosed at 3 years old and at that age he didn't say much of anything.  He is now almost 5 and has improved dramatically with alot of hard work from me and his speech therapist.  Working with a child as soon as possible is the key to later success.  Hope this helps : )  Nal
by Member on Feb. 25, 2007 at 10:08 PM
I only have a few seconds but this is something I wish I had known about, the CHAT test, it's available online and it will not only give you an idea of if your child is on the spectrum, and the questions will help you tell your ped.  My ped. asked me the CHAT, when I didn't know what it was, he checked off on all (but I ddin't know that at the time) and she told me to just come back in six months if there was no change.  I'll post more when I collect my list of stuffs.

by on Feb. 26, 2007 at 8:06 AM
If you have any concerns you should have him evaluated. Ask your pediatrician for a referral. It should be a free service and is often done in conjunction with a local hospital.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

by Member on Feb. 26, 2007 at 9:34 PM

Another thing you can do is call a few of the major hospitals closest to you.  Ask if there is an Autism clinic.  If you don't have a fairly large hospital in your area, set up an appointment with with a pediatric neurologist if you are getting no where with your child's regular pediatrician.  Also, you may want to get in touch with a speech pathologist and/or developmental specialist/psychologist.  Just a few suggestions.  I wish you the best and keep us posted. 

by on Feb. 27, 2007 at 2:23 PM
It sounds like it to me and I understand what your going through with the dr. But sometimes you have to insist with them especially because of the numerous parents that may want there child tested for autisim the are skeptical to do so but if the child really needs the testing and is found to have autism they will need the assistance asap because the sooner they are tested and on the right track the better they begin to learn. I had more guilt thinking how I should have pushed and insisted for Morgana then she would have had help earlier. I was weak and didn't know what to do for her because of my own disorders, but being weak was not helping it was hindering.
by Co-Owner on Feb. 27, 2007 at 2:41 PM
It may be. Our Dr took the wait and see approach. From what I have heard drs don't like to tell parents that it is Autism We were referred to a pediatric Neurologist (which was awful) The Dr was UN prepared sweating  at8 am and had absolutely no bed side manner. I know that it was very hard to even type those words on you post but the earlier you know the better. I made my own referral to the Early Childhood development center and they came out and evaluated our son. That was a really hard day. We thought that he may have had a hearing problem. Wewere told that he had Autistic Characteristic's. My heart almost broke in two. After the initial shock we sprang to action and now he is getting speech OT and all around development therapy 5 days a week. We also by recommendation of his speech therapist took him to a homeopathic Dr that has been very helpful. Good Luck, You will make it through this.
by New Member on Mar. 2, 2007 at 12:05 AM
My son's doctor took the wait and see approach also. He told us, boys are late bloomers. My son was the same way. I am sorry that I didn't realize sooner that something was wrong. Get an evaluation as soon as possible, so you can get services that will help you. Best of luck to you.
by Member on Mar. 5, 2007 at 4:41 PM
I have the same issues with my 3 year old son and insisted on an independent evaluation for my son. (scheduled for the end of this month) I was able to find out about a couple hospitals in our area that are well-known for spec.needs and went to his pediatrician and told him (didn't 'ask') that I needed a referral for it to be done. The pedi. office called and scheduled the appt for me. Just be strong and direct with the doctors. You know that somehting isn't right and if you can make it clear that you won't tolerate the 'wait and see' approach from the doctors, you will get the help you need.
by Member on Nov. 19, 2007 at 4:22 PM
It took my son 4 years to get a diagnosis of Aspergers, and 3 of those years being in a school that treated him like he was a criminal. I went through complete hell and back just to get a diagnosis for him and I was livid at how long it took. I made a vow that from here on out I would do whatever I could to help give parents info that can help their child be diagnosed quicker.
My process was having my son evaluated by a beahvioral specialist (who was the head of the school board's autism committee), who for 3 years told us it was not ANY form of autism, then he was placed in a behavioral class for 2 years where 3-5 ADULTS (including a school police officer) would physically pin him down in headlocks, tie spit bags around his head, and then called DCS and had him taken from us and placed in a mental institution for 1 week, where he was beaten by his roomate on a daily basis. The psychyatrist there started to notice signs of autism right away and referred us to Vanderbilt (in nashville)..which Vanderbilt refused to evaluate him because of his violent history (which was asinine to me since lots of autistic kids have violent histories).
Being all the way back at square one I suddenly got the idea to call my local autism society...from there they referred me to a wonderful Neuropsych who specialized in ASD evaluations...which is where he was FINALLY diagnosed with it. not take the long way of getting your son diagnosed like I did. It will just cause you and your child so much uneeded your pediatrician and demand a referal to an ASD evaluator...if the pediatrician doesn't have what you feel to be an adequate the autism society and ask for some the autism society regardless....they can help make the process of getting diagnosed SO much faster. Keep in mind that not always but a LOT of boards hate, hate, hate giving a parent any indication that their child may be special needs...the reason they hate it....because it costs them a fortune that unfortunately they are usually not willing to spend.
by Member on Nov. 19, 2007 at 4:35 PM
There may be a community infant and toddler's program associated with your local board of education.  They will come out and do free assessments before your child reaches school age.  They can also point you in the direction of professionals with a background in autism.  Call your local board of education.  Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)