Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son's aggression.(HELP)

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 9:37 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 420 Total Views
 Ok my son is hyperactive and he's aggressive along with being autistic. At times I have to wonder why  whenever I send him to do someting he gets upset and charges at me. I'm working on changing my tone when I speak to him but that doesn't always work.  I'm  trying to work on how I approach him with any instruction so that he doesn't go off on me. I'm also considering changing his meds to see if tha helps as well.  I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Aida C.
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rjd573
by Member on Jun. 14, 2007 at 10:54 AM

We have had great success with Risperdal......there is a drawback...weight gain.

My daughter is a self abuser....which is why we tried it....but it is also used for aggression.

AidaC
by Member on Jun. 14, 2007 at 11:40 AM
At this point the weight gain would be a plus! He's so thin due to his metabolism it would help but doesn't it affect their socialization in some ways? So I read well I think that I got it right. Aida C.
rcno4
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 12:10 PM
We also use Risperdal.  Our son needs deep pressure and is very strong for four.  He only gained 1ld in the 3mths he has been on it.  We are glad for the increase in food he hardly ate.  Besides he perfurs veggies & fruit over junk food.  The neroligists said this med. works better on boys than girls.
Have you tried swaddling him during the day every 30 min. for 5 min.  This helps our son on those bad days.  Also I hold his chest and rub his back witha little pressure everytime he needs to calm down.   Most of the time we can calm him down this way.  Mandy
TAZmomof3
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 2:23 PM
I was recently having trouble with my 13 y.o. son being aggressive, particularly when asked or told to do something.  Medication has helped a lot.  His doc increased his Abilify and Zoloft, and he's like a totally different child.  Plus, he is not in a zombie state, which has occurred with other meds in the past, Risperdal being one of them.
Good luck.

mama2sam
by Member on Jun. 14, 2007 at 5:00 PM
It sounds like you are describing my son! My son is 7 and very aggressive. What they thought was ADHD is really just part of his Autism, Stimming. and of course sensory issues, even the sound of my voice will set him off. And the self injurous behavior was getting out of hand. We have tried several meds. including special diets, they all eventually failed. Risperidal did help, but he put on alot of weight, and i found we had to continue to increase the dose about every 3-4 wks., He is currently on Abilify and it works! after so many years it feels as if I have my son back. It was a very emotional experience for me.  He will sit still now ! He does not fidget or lunge out of his seat anymore! Don't forget that you may have to try several meds before you can find one that works for your child. Good luck! A
735stacey
by Member on Jun. 14, 2007 at 9:44 PM
Your son is aggressive because he is anxious. I find that making eye contact with my son when talking to him helps to ease his anxiety. He has made great strides in eye contact since therapy began 4 yrs ago. Even if my tone of voice does not get the desired effect, I think that him looking into my eyes makes him understand what I am saying to him.
twinmom7795
by New Member on Jun. 16, 2007 at 10:25 PM
hello,  my name is brenda and i have an 11 year old autistic son  that has taken risperdol in the past and is now on abilify.  he was on risperdol for aggression for about 4 years.  he began to improve and since he had been on the meds for so long we took him off of them.  the aggression came back and we then put him on abilify.  i really like abilify.  the weight gain has not been as bad and he seems much more social.  he does not seem to be so "medicated" as he did on resperdol.  good luck with your decision!!!!
destiny29
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2007 at 1:01 AM
     I'm really not sure what to tell you other than to go and talk with your doctor or therapist. My son's aggression comes from his anxiety as one of the PP said. I have had to work really hard to find ways of calming him down. Sometimes finding some way of focusing the aggression helps. For example, we let our son go outside and kick the ball around or we take him to the Rec. center nearby and let him put that energy into running the track or swimming. Sometimes he just needs to release those feelings he doesn't know how to express, so we have to give him an outlet for his frustration. I'm praying there is an answer for your situation.
vanessadalton25
by Member on Jun. 17, 2007 at 11:20 AM
I'm pretty new to autism. But when we'd leave somewhere he'd want to be we would have a huge melt down. So I've started giving him a 10 minute warning, then 5 then I count down the minutes till we leave.

Last week was absolutely horrible. (as far as his behavior) Any time I asked him to do any thing he's scream and stomp and melt down. So yesterday I gave him warning....... and what do you know he just did what I asked. (maybe a fluke but its worth a try.)

Also my sons OT told us to use the burrito technique with him. Basically I don't feel comfortable wrapping him in a blanket so I just make a game of it and give him big bear hugs and that tends to calm him down some.

But like I said I'm pretty new and there is a lot that I don't know yet. Good Luck!!!!
bchangel311
by New Member on Jun. 17, 2007 at 7:50 PM
We also use Risperdal, which has worked for a while.  However, we are starting to see signs of self abuse again, and he chokes and hits others when he's upset.  We're looking for something else.  Upping the dosage of the medicine makes him zombie-like.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)