Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How about potty training girls? Anyone?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 3:35 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 186 Total Views
Hi everyone~
My name is Christine and I'm a mom to twin girls (3 yrs old) who were dx with PDD-NOS at just over two years.

The girls are going to preschool in the fall (a special ed preschool, so I'm not stressed over this, as I know they'll help with it if we're not able to get it done by Sept.) and I wanted to start trying to potty train over the summer.

I'm clueless, and not afraid to admit it. 

I've seen lots of advice on training boys (you know, aiming into the potty and all that...) but not a whole about about how to handle girls.

Right now, the girls are still in diapers.  Does it make sense to go with pull-ups at this point?  I'm not even sure where to start.

One of my kids is more sensory challenged than the other, so I know it will be harder with her (especially with the pooping thing), so any advice would be most helpful!

Thanks!
-Christine
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
tattooedbunny
by Member on Jun. 14, 2007 at 3:50 PM
My daughter (asd) turned 3 in April and she doesn't appear to have any interest in her potty chair.  I do have her in pullups, but that's more out of convenience than anything else.  I have a Pottytime Elmo DVD that she's been really interested in lately so I'm hoping maybe that'll click.  She does sit on her potty sit sometimes during the dvd.  The way I look at it, she'll do it in good time.  We have enough to stress about right now with the new diagnosis of asd (May) and trying to get the ball rolling with st and special ed preschool in the fall (on top of trying to get our house ready to sell) to worry about potty training right now.  I wouldn't stress too much.  I guess give her the tools, i.e., potty chair, potty seats for the toilets, maybe books or dvds and perhaps pullups and maybe it'll click at some point.  Good luck.
LuzyAnnaChick
by New Member on Jun. 14, 2007 at 3:52 PM
Actually both my kids were 3 before I pushed it.  I gave them both opportunities to use the potty chair but neither were interested and I didn't push either of them.  When I knew they were ready, I told them that tomorrow was their last day in diapers and after that they had to use the potty chair.  I still used pull-ups at night.  Rachel had one accident where she peed on herself and then used the potty after that.  Adam took a little longer but within a week he was using the potty fulltime.  It took about another week for both to learn to use the potty for #2.  I think waiting until the child is ready is best even though there were several people that huffed & puffed because my kids were in diapers when they turned 3.  Who cares....they are my kids and I know best.  LOL

Oh just wanted to add that I gave each a 'potty party' at the end of their first week with little toys, balloons, cake, etc.  It was just the family but it was a showering of praise & attention for their good job.  They both still remember that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)