Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Clonidine or Risperdal??

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 7:54 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 252 Total Views

My daughter needs an EEG still after a seizure last month (her first ever) and I've been back and forth with neuros to try to find the right one for my daughter b/c she needs to be sedated.
Today I saw "the pediatric neurologist". I was able to see him by name dropping and moving a few mountains. He is not taking new patients. Any who, I really like him. Great with Bianca, not intimidated by her autism at all, spoke and dealt with her directly and effectively and she actually took to him too.
So he made 2 suggestions, 
1. That we put her on some form of med for about 3 days prior to the prosedure and take her to have the procedure done once she is mellowed out by these meds, hopefully she will be mellow enough to let us start an IV and get the leads on, and we'd go from there.
2. We go ahead and put her on seizure med with out the EEG and all that b/c he says that 10-30% of children with autism suffer from seizures, so her chances of having another one would be more that a child with no autism.
He recommends #1 because he says that if we are able to get a read off the EEG that would be the best, that way we know if it's abnormal that we are medicating for a reason and it's worth a try, can't hurt, and it's what he'd do if Bianca were his kid.
With the second scenario, how would we know that she really NEEDS the seizure meds and we are not putting something in her body that she doesn't need.
Hubby and I are with him on the 1st scenario, and the meds the neuro suggested are either "Clonidine" or "Risperdal". Two totally different meds, one to lower her blood pressure and another is an antipsychotic. Now, we don't  know my daughters reaction to any of these meds, she's never been on any Rx meds at all, for anything, we've never had any blood work on her, heck, we haven't even been able to get vitals at all these doctor visits, so basically we have no idea how her body will take to these.
I know alot of mom's here have some experience with Risperdal, and I don't think I've heard Clonidine mentioned, but my daughter is 12yrs old, about 5'1" - 5'2" and weights 185lbs., so it's very different from most kids here that are younger, smaller and therefore would take a smaller dose.
I don't know, which should I go with? What are some side effects?  I'm leaning towards the Risperdal, b/c it offers us a glimpse as to what she would be like on thise med, should she need to be on meds in the future, we know to rule it out or that it worked well with her. With Clonidine, I'm afraid of lowering her blood pressure, I'm not sure why, but this is the one that hubby thinks he's more comfortable with. I'm also not looking forward to seeing my daughter so out of it and fear that it will still not mellow her out enough and it will all be for nothing. I'm really emotional about all of this and want to make the best choice possible and be okay with it. Can anyone shed some light and their much appreciated opinion/experience?

by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 7:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Lilbug3
by Member on Jun. 14, 2007 at 9:29 PM
My daughter Jessica has been on both medications.  She was on Risperdal from age 3-5 and she gained alot of weight.  I'm talking going from above the charts in height under in weight to over the charts in height and weight.  She is 9 yrs old right now and weighs 176lbs.
She has been on Clonidine for about two yrs now and we have had remarkable effects to mellowing her out .  She is on a low dose of it, she takes it two times a day once at 12 noon and once at or before bed to help her fall asleep otherwise she does not sleep.  By the way shes also Autistic.
The dose she takes is .1mg at noon and then she takes three pills which is .3mg at or before bed to help her fall asleep.The Clonidine also helps with her ocds.  I know its hard to decide what medication god knows how many we have tried but I strongly am against Risperdal.  If you think your daughter is big now, wait two months being on that.
Look at your pros and cons.  Then make your decision.
Lissa64
by Member on Jun. 14, 2007 at 9:51 PM
That's funny how each child reacts differently to the meds.  We love our risperdal and wouldn't want to live without it.  My son has gained a couple of pounds, but he needed to.  It has really helped his ocd and he is sleeping fine again. 

We have never tried Clonodine, so I don't know about it.

Hope you can get the EEG with minimal upset.
Melissa
rcno4
by on Jun. 15, 2007 at 3:05 PM
My sons  ped. nero. put him on Risperdal.  It has worked great for him for the last 3 mths.  The nero. did tell me Risperdal gets better results with boys.  Mandy
higherboundmom
by Member on Jun. 15, 2007 at 3:47 PM
We have only used risperdal breifly with one of my kids Brian about 4yrs ago. He had terrible hallucinations on it - that my be atypical he has weird side-effects to a whole lot of meds. All of the kids have been on clonidine or are on it now. We have seen good results with it. It is not your normal bp med that works to make the heart beat more efficiently but instead it opens the blood vessels up to allow more Oxygen to reach the organs, thus the effect is that more blood and oxygen gets to the brain and somehow allows the brain to relax and a natural sleep follows. In our autistic fellow it really helps to hold down aggression he takes 4 (0.1mg) over the course of the day.  Insurance co. like it because it is an older drug and the reactions are well known and it is a really cheap medication.
hanna0211
by New Member on Jun. 15, 2007 at 5:24 PM
hi my name is amera and my son mohammed was on clonadine for a long time and it really helped alot so i would defenatly recommend it the only bad thing about this med is  considerd a short tem med so it wont help for a long time!! this med will help her rest and it will calm her down alot so i wish you all the luck and hopefully thing will be ok for you and your daughter!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)