Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Still uses a pacifier....HELP!!!

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 9:03 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 398 Total Views
My son will be 4 in a few weeks and he still uses a pacifier. I don't let him have it during preschool or his therapies, but the second we get back in the car he asks for it. I always hope he'll just forget, but that never happens. I've tried the "throwing it away" approach, but then he'll just yell at me to buy more.

When I was little, I sucked on a pacifier and then my thumb until about 5. My parents used that stuff to make your thumb taste bad after putting other yucky stuff on my thumb failed. I think this is when this product was invented. Does anyone know if I can put that stuff on a pacifier? It's called "THUM." I hope you know what I'm talking about.

Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
735stacey
by Member on Jun. 14, 2007 at 11:25 PM
This is not abnormal for a child of this age, esp. one with a PDD. It comforts him and makes him feel safe. He will give it up when he no longer needs it. The fact that he does not use it at preschool or during his therapy is remarkable as these tend to be the most stressing situations for kids with PDD's.
Jennifer30
by New Member on Jun. 15, 2007 at 9:56 AM
My daughter is 7 her 2 major comforts thumb and silk blanket.My ex was really worried about this and did everything to try and make her stop i did not I new it was her relaxation and comfort he would not listen now she does not like to go with him it makes her nerves he is finnaly coming around.Her doc said she will get rid of them when she is ready and she only does it at home.
tiffmarie
by New Member on Jun. 15, 2007 at 10:04 AM
I guess my only concern is regarding his teeth and if using the pacifier is aiding in his delayed speech.  From the speech therapists point of view, they say that the sucking motion is bad for developing speech, etc. I don't know, it doesn't bother me as I said before that I sucked my thumb until I was 5 and I have never had teeth problems, but I did stutter and have a lisp when I was a preschooler.

Just hoped I could get him off of it. He does chew the heck out of them, which drives me crazy.

BrittanyGL
by on Jun. 15, 2007 at 10:58 AM
"don't worry about it dear, no child ever took a pappy to collage with them" this is what my mil told me... i agree. i am not going to worry about it. grant is 3 and still has his also. i believe that its a comfort to him and if it makes him happy and safe feeling then so be it. but, if you do want to stop it, they sale that stuff at our pharmacy. i would look at yours to see if they have it there. my pharmacy is a little old one so that may be why its there and not at the big newer ones.
Happimommi
by Member on Jun. 15, 2007 at 11:23 AM

My son used a pacifier forever and what made it worse is that he had to have one in his mouth and one in each hand when he went to sleep, in case he lost the one in his mouth. We tried everything too. We tried the trash and he wasn't having it. So, we took our friends advice and it worked. I think it worked because he threw it away. We took all his "binkies" and cut the tips off of them. So then when he wanted one, we would hand him one. He would put it in his mouth and pull it out and look at it. He did it over and over. I told him that "oh no, your binkie is broken, it is yucky now". I told him, you better go throw it away, it is yucky. We did that with every binkie and he walked over to the trash and threw them away. He never asked for it again. I am not sure if it was because he did it or what. It worked marvelous. Maybe it will work for you and maybe not, but it is worth a try.

vanessadalton25
by Member on Jun. 15, 2007 at 11:28 AM
I guess I'm just mean but I took those things away when he turned 1 and never gave in. Since you said he is chewing. My sons OT said that I should give him gum or fruit leather. Maybe that would help.
Magdalen
by New Member on Jun. 15, 2007 at 11:28 AM
my 4 yr old did the exact same thing!!!!!!!!!!
one time during bed time, he used to asked me "where is the snake" i would say "sleeping" on a tree, and like that he would asked me about 5 more animals, one time i took the pacifier away, and he was crazy looking for it and i said "the snake" took your pacifier................ he said "the snake"? and everytime he was looking for it i kept saying the snake took it i do not know where it is.

One thing though ........NO more pacifiers in the house. (take the advise i got from a pediatric psychiatrist)

when he says to buy more you say the stores are out of pacifiers,

I would not use Thum on a pacifier, i used on my daughter's nails (6) she likes to bite them and she bites right through.
The desire to bite their nails/suck on pacifier is stronger than the bad taste.

hope this helps, it did for me.
good luck       you got to be strong, he might throw tumtrums be pacient, once he sees that it is serious..no more pacifiers...he will get used to it.
JINGRAS
by New Member on Jun. 15, 2007 at 11:41 AM
When my sons third birthday was rolling around I figured it was time for him to get rid of the nuk.  He only used it for nap and bed time at that time, but if we couldn't find it or he woke up and lost it we were never sleeping!  So for a couple of weeks prior to his birthday, every day numerous times I told him after your birthday the nuk goes away!  And i would always ask him what happens after your CARS birthday, he would say the nuk goes away... that night after his party first thing asked was where is my nuk? And i once again reminded him, he had a few fussy nights but it sunk in.  I had to make sure there were none lying around in the house or car or grandparents house...a couple times in a store he noticed them and wanted it but Just stood firm with no the nuks go away after your CARS birthday, and for some reason, maybe the repetiveness sunk in.  So basically with the constant reminder, and doing after a really fun event helped.  Wish you luck in whatever your decision or approach is! 4 is the age which makes "faking out" approaches more difficult! Kids are too smart!
flyingsaucerMom
by on Jun. 15, 2007 at 12:26 PM
my son will be four in October and uses one. It's completely a coping tool and I don't want to take it away but I do have some rules about it. Not at preschool and not watching TV. He can have it as long as he is in bed... sometimes he asks to be in bed all day but he gets bored and decides to leave it in the room and will just repeatedly come and goes as needed. It's worked really well. It's helped me feel better about it too. I still have a blanket that I sleep with and I'm sure not going to get rid of it because it's not socially appropriate! You should see us at night going to bed... all of us with our "nite-nites"!
jonandhelen97
by Member on Jun. 15, 2007 at 12:45 PM
There is a reason that Little boy of yours still needs it.  My son was almost 4 before he gave up his.  What we did was tell him that the binky fairy was coming at that she needed his binkies and that if he gave her his binkies that she would leave him a present.  So that night he placed all of his binkies on the kitchen counter and of course the binky fairy left him his own present!!!  He loves scooby and so we bought him a really soft blanket, wrapped it up and he was so excited about the blanket he forgot about the binkies.  He now goes to sleep with his blankey every night and never forgets it.  But no more binkies.  He would ask about them from time to time and I would say........The binky fairy gave them to a little boy or girl who needed one but didn't have one!!

Good Luck, Helen
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)