Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ANYBODY HEARD OF HORSE THERAPY?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 11:21 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 186 Total Views
Oh My Gosh. This is unreal. I have a long time friend, who has a12 Yr. old Fragile X & Autistic Son she is a pharmacist. She doesn't blink an eye in saying her Son was Mercury Poisoned. She is very aggressive with this child. There's nothing she has not done for him. We were talking on the phone last night (haven't talked with her forever) She asked if Lane was in Horse Therapy? Trying not to sound too stupid, I replied "horse, as in an animal"  She went on to explain that this has helped her son more than anything she has ever tried.
When Lane was 5 (now 8) our Family went on the River for the 4th of July Fireworks, we were sitting in our boat waiting, Lane looked up & said "HORSES" "YOU TAKE ME TO THE HORSES" Since he doesn't ask for much of anything, my husband (his pa pa) motored up the the river bank, It was our local Sheriff's Office Horse Patrol, (My husband is a Captain there, of 29 years now) He put Lane on one of the Horses. I have never seen that boy smile like that, (after autism hit). A few months later His Mom & I took him to Jackson, Ms to the Big state Fair.  Once more, Lane got our attention, "HORSES" It was their Law Enforcement Horse patrol. They let Lane pet them forever. It was like a calming thing for him. I didn't know we had that Horse Therapy here, but plan to check into it asap. Just wondering if any of you know anything about this.

by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
rcno4
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 11:36 AM

We wanted to put our son in horse theropy.  I have heard great things about this theropy.  We checked into it although way out of our budget.  One of our neighbors lets him ride his horse everyonce in awile.   The way I see it anything is worth a try. Mandy

ASuperherosmom
by Member on Jun. 20, 2007 at 11:36 AM
Jareddid it last summer and he loved it!  It was about an hour session with only about 40 mins on horse as part of the therapy was teaching responsibility and care for the horse(brushing and treating the horse with carrots).  Jared is big into all sorts of animals and he was almost a natural on horseback which to me was the most amazing thing. 
Depending on how your child does it can be very good for them.  Jared learned how to command his horse with his voice and signals with the reigns.  By the end of the sessions he was doing almost all the commands on his own( to the point he was always commanding King to run...he liked the horse going fast the best!).  They usually have 2-3 people with each horse and to make sure your kid stays on and nothing happens but for the most part the kid really thinks they are controlling it all.  You should give it a try!  The session would almost always calm Jared and he was so willing to share his horseriding tales with anyone who would listen.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)