Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

non-verbal 4 year old

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2007 at 2:49 AM
  • 15 Replies
  • 3676 Total Views

Hello everyone. I am the mother of a non-verbal 4year old. She is characterized as developmentally delayed right now, however, she has many traits of autism. She hasn't been diagnosed yet. She says about 10 single words. We are struggling with potty training right now. I have been told because she is a girl, it probably isn't autism. Just need someone to talk to about it.

Thanks for your time, Charlie

by on Jul. 24, 2007 at 2:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommylovesjande
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2007 at 10:31 AM
Hi:

Welcome to this very supporting group!  Everyone here is very knowledgeable about Autism.

I have two children on the Autistic Spectrum.  My son is 5 with PDD-NOS (Verbal) and my daughter is 3 with ASD (Non-Verbal).  Life is chaotic and challenging but very rewarding as well!

Looking forward to sharing stories with you!

Hugs,
Karen

tammy0107
by New Member on Jul. 24, 2007 at 2:19 PM
Hi.  I have an 11 year old daughter who is non-verbal and has autism.  She was not diagnosed until she was 3-1/2 because the pediatrician just didn't want to deliver the news (in case he was wrong he said).  Needless to say, I no longer use that pediatrician.  She could have been diagnosed at least a year and a half earlier.  While I understand that boys are much more likely to have autism for whatever reason, girls can also have it.  Early intervention and treatment is SO important with these children.  Sometimes you can't get the treatment unless you have a diagnosis and if you think your child is missing out because you don't have the diagnosis, I'd definitely being pushing for one (whether it's autism or something else).  In any event, at 4 years old and not talking the catch all "developmental delay" seems to be an understatement to say the least.  I'd get another doctor's opinion.  I know at least one person who refuses to have her son diagnosed because she doesn't want him "labeled".  I'll admit that as soon as the school system heard the word autism, their whole attitude toward my daughter changed (and not for the good).  So there are times when have the "label" has been a struggle.  However, I have found that there are many resources available that we could not have taken advantage of that really helped my daughter if she had not had the diagnosis.  
Theoneandonly
by Member on Jul. 24, 2007 at 4:28 PM
i have an autistis child to get him to talk i got one of those sheap mics that kids play with i made noises with it and then i put it to his mouth and he made noises and we both laughed it got him to talk i would say da and he would say da and i said ma and he said ma. I also sub for boces for teachers-aide and tried it on option 4 students and it worked for them also...
goingnuttynow
by Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 2:00 AM
I have a non-verbal 3 year old. It's rough at times. He doesn't say "any" words. I think he might be trying to speak but nothing truly yet. Be patient...I know it's hard. And just because she's a girl does it mean she can't have autism...there's so much help out there. Don't stop at just your pediatrician. Good luck!
thecheshirerain
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 2:04 AM
alot of kids on the spectrum have issues potty training. my son cant feel when he is going but feels it after and rarely as he is going. i cant get him to sit on the potty unless he "pretends". find a neurologist.

Rain

http://www.cafemom.com/group/realisticfatties

SharonDee
by Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:36 AM
Hi firends! mine is a boy, 4 years and nonverbal (I think, because no doctor has formally told me so).  My son was diagnosed less that a year ago, so I am new to this experience. I was just wondering, does anybody know if a nonverbal child has - even a small - chance of speaking at some point in future? My son doesn't speak at all, beside 'mama' and sometimes mumbling things.
mom4fun
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:50 AM

Quoting SharonDee:

Hi firends! mine is a boy, 4 years and nonverbal (I think, because no doctor has formally told me so).  My son was diagnosed less that a year ago, so I am new to this experience. I was just wondering, does anybody know if a nonverbal child has - even a small - chance of speaking at some point in future? My son doesn't speak at all, beside 'mama' and sometimes mumbling things.

Oh yes!  Do not give up!  Although my son was not "nonverbal", his initial diagnosis was a communication disorder.  NowHe won't be quiet!  He talks about everything.  Anyway, I have a friend, whose son was 'nonverbal" until Kindergarten.  He is now speaking very well.  Early Intervention was the key....but it is more than possible.
SouthernSAHM
by Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:53 AM
My son at age 3 was almost non verbal,now at age 8 he is a motor mouth.But this is due to Speech Therapy and diligent work starting when he was three.While Speech delay was his initial diagnosis, it was soon apparent that he also has strong sensory issues and began OT,then at age 6 we got his autism diagnosis of PDD and that opened up a huge world of help and services at his school.
He will start 3rd grade in a few weeks in a regular class with an aide.While he is not on grade level at all, he does read,write and do math.All of this due to an early start with ST,OT and other academic help.
Any doctor that thinks a non verbal 4 year old is just delayed or dismisses autism because of  gender, you need to run from and run to a developmental pediatrition or diagnosic clinic for a full eval.Do not waste time, the window for learning is largest the younger they are,especially for speech.
ednakrabapple
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:03 AM
I have a ten year old son with autisim who is nonverbal. It is very frustrating at first when you are trying to get a diagnosis, but hang in there.
My son didn't get potty trained until he was six, thanks to the help of a very good elementary school teacher. All potty training is rough though, my youngest son also had a hard time with it sometimes it wont happen untill they are ready.
Any way good to meet you I am new too, you can ask me any questions you want I will try and give you an answer. 
vickiand4kids
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:04 AM
I have 4 year old boy/girl twins. They both have autism.  He says some words and the more speech therapy he gets...the more words he puts together.  He has added so many words to his vocabulary since we started therapy.  He used to be non-verbal at 3.  My twin daughter is still non-verbal.  She has had just as much speech therapy as him but still does not say any spoken words.  It is very clear that she understands what is being said to her.  She is very stubborn and we have a new speech therapist that seems to be great for her personality.  She doesn't give in to her.  The twins are not potty trained and I wouldn't even know how to start at this point.  I was also afraid my daughter would never talk, but had high hopes for my son....and I was told by the therapist that I shouldn't give up.  These kids make great progress with therapy.  They were only diagnosed in January so I am still getting used to the diagnosis and I am still grieving, but I am also fighting like hell to get them everything they need.  I am a nurse and I have to stay home with them now to get them to therapy, doctors, and preschool.  Our whole life has changed. I have come to the conclusion that just because my life is different doesn't mean it is bad!  I just wish we didn't have to struggle financially too..since quitting work we stay broke.  The diagnosis of the twins is hard enough without throwing more stressors on top of it. And did I mention I also have a typical 6 year old!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)