Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Diagnosis vs. Prognosis

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 6:34 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 283 Total Views
Ok so my son went to his neurologist yesterday and it was finally put on paper, pdd/autism. He said that my son is high functioning and hopefully when he reaches his developmental growth spurts at ages 5-6 and 10-12 that he will be as close to normal as any other child, Has anyone else ever heard this or have they expierenced this. It gives great hope but Im just wondering if thats possible. My son is 2 he says 5-10 max, doesnt dress or undress hisself, spinns, self abuses and many other things, so what is the likely hood that what the doc said could really happen?
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
MisforMOM
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 7:20 PM
Probaby very true for the majority of kids.  Of course, autism from one person to another (especially children) is so different (hence the spectrum).  But, my kiddo made HUGE improvements once she hit 5 years old!  She absolutely blossomed and continues to do so (now 6)!

Keep your head up and never, ever expect anything less than wonderful, amazing accomplishments from your kid!  Our attitude GREATLY affects our kids' abilities!

Wishing you the best!
VONNY614
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 7:30 PM

HELLO HOW R U DOING ? I ALSO HAVE A 3 YR OLD RECENTLY DIAGNOSED W/ PDD/AND MAYBE ADHD. I WAS ALSO TOLD THAT BY THE TIME HE'S SEVEN HE SHOULD ALMOST BE @ HIS LEVEL. HE'S FUNCTIONING @ 2 -21/2 YR OLD. MY SON HAS ABOUT 50 WORDS. MY SON DOES NOT DRESS BUT CAN SOMEWHAT UNDRESS HE TRIES BOTH.

mom4fun
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:07 PM

My son is 7 and is, for the most part, a normal child....what is normal anyway? He did well in school, joined the cub scouts, rides his bike, talks non-stop, loves to write books, loves to play by himself and with friends, enjoys swimming and tennis. 

He was diagnosed at 3.5, initially with a communication disorder, and later dx'd with PDD, NOS.   He still has some peculiar attributes about him, but he has been accepted by his peers very well.  And he enjoys life.

I will say that they don't just outgrow this.  We did a lot of therapies, both traditional and non-traditional, each helping one area of difficulty.  Remember, the prognosis depends on the child and early intervention.  And we still have areas that we need to work on, but we're getting there. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)