Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just Curious (Do Your Children Do This)

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:58 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 460 Total Views
Hi:

My daughter is 3 with ASD and as I have said she is the master of disaster.  Everyday she insists on taking apart all of the bedding on her bed and my guest rooms bed. 

I know her and my son like to jump on the mattress but I don't understand when they see that this upsets me and they still do it.  I make an announcement everyday that I do not want them to mess up the beds. 

It is exhausting having to make these beds all of the time.  I usually just wait until they are asleep to make the beds again.

Do any of your children do this?

Hugs,
Karen

by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shyswancrazy
by Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:05 PM
Well the good news is she's not jumping on the clean sheets so at least you are not having to wash them over and over again. My sudgestion is before they go to bed have them help you make those beds. After all they made the mess and Mom does not equal Maid.
Have a good night.
Shawnna
MyBun
by Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:19 PM

Quoting shyswancrazy:

Well the good news is she's not jumping on the clean sheets so at least you are not having to wash them over and over again. My sudgestion is before they go to bed have them help you make those beds. After all they made the mess and Mom does not equal Maid.
Have a good night.
Shawnna
I agree with Shawna.  Make them clean it up with you.  Once they learn that they have to clean it up every time, they will probably do it less and less.  It is worth a try. 

My son used to do the same thing with legos and Hot Wheels and all the small stuff.  He used to dump the bins, just to play with the empty bucket (sounds autistic, huh, LOL).  I got tired of putting them back in over and over and over again.  Finally, I started making him do it with me.   He gets frustrated when he has to pick up about 100 pieces of toys and now he doesn't dump the buckets anymore.

As Shawna mentioned, this also helps them understand personal responsibility.  You are not their maid and let them know early on this fact to make your life easier.  Some moms feel "needed" when their kids do stuff like  this.   I am not one of them......

Good luck and hope this works,
Cyndie

momtojake903
by Member on Jul. 26, 2007 at 9:00 AM
My children do it too. But I think it more of a sensory thing, not a "lets aggravate mom" thing.  Have you tried a mini trampoline like you would use for excersise?  I have bought one and put it in thier playroom.  I have moved all of their little toys (that they used to dump out) downstairs into a separate play area and I am trying to make our playroom upstairs mor sensory friendly!  Hope this helps and keep us posted!
MamaRita
by Group Owner on Jul. 26, 2007 at 2:29 PM

Quoting shyswancrazy:

Have a good night.
Shawnna
Great Idea
mommylovesjande
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2007 at 5:31 PM
Hi:

Thanks for all the replies.  I actually have a bounce house but it is one of those that have a fan to blow it up.  It totally freaks my daughter out and she is terrified of it. 

I just wish I could get her to go in it.  I know she would love it and it is similar to jumping on the bed.  My son goes in it once in awhile.

Hugs,
Karen
carolinat70
by New Member on Jul. 26, 2007 at 5:35 PM
Hi Karen,

Your lucky it's only your beds. My boys took apart EVERYTHING. It's like they weren't satified unless they got to it first. We couldn't have anything new or it woud be destroyed. Finally, they just STOPPED/ Don't know why, unless it was an age thing but i'm not complaining. Now everything has to be in it's place.

Teri
mommylovesjande
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2007 at 5:41 PM

Hello:

Thanks for all the replies.  I have tried to get the children to help me put back the room and my 5 year old says now how do you expect me to do this I am just a kid.

I told him "Well you made the mess, you clean it up".  Needless to say the mattress is still on the floor and sheets and comforters are also on the floor.

Oh I don't allow them in my room.  My room is off limits.  My son would never allow that to happen to his bedroom either.

It is strictly the guest room where the computer is and my daughters room.

Hoping we all can have beds that are made up someday.  Thanks again for all your replies.

Hugs,
Karen

wonderwoman1969
by Member on Jul. 29, 2007 at 9:49 AM

Quoting shyswancrazy:

Have a good night.
Shawnna
hehe to  much, Atleast she's just takes the sheets off and not mess it, and jumps.

When my daughter has a tantrum looking for something, she dont take sheets off, she pulls everything off her bed, her stuffed animals, she sheets, her matterss etc

When she is done, u can't walk in there, there is no place to step.

Good luck Momma!!

Patti

My son Frankie has PDD Nos, and My Daughter Tori still working on her dx her temp is ASD/ MR. With Global Delays. May God Bless Us All! With Miracles to Come with every Blessing!!
kylesmummum
by Member on Jul. 29, 2007 at 8:01 PM
not only must my son take the sheets off the bed, he has to take all his clothes out of the drawers, all the dirty laundry out of the hamper and then play in the pile .. he takes all his pull ups out of the package to line them up so he can see lightning mcqueen and mater .. I just finished cleaning that one up .. he will take hot dogs out of their package and line them up ..

with him i think the bedding gets in the way of jumping ..thats why it must come off .

with the laundry I think it's a sensory thing..he likes to feel the fabrics.

with the hotdogs I really won't even pretend to understand ..lol

kyle will help put things away if I insist that he help .  :)

so you are not alone by count of the numerous response .

some days its tireing but I try to see the humour in it.
kylesmummum
by Member on Jul. 29, 2007 at 8:04 PM

just a quick thought ... is there a oversensitivity to sound because that may be why you get the terrified reaction .. try blowing it up when she is not present .

my son hates the sound the air pump makes when we blow up the kiddie pool .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)