Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

strange fear

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 2:01 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 289 Total Views
my son hayden is afraid (are you ready) lint. yes i said lint. it used to be funny. but now it's just out and out annoying. does anyone else have a child with a simular fear.
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
rcno4
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 2:06 PM
Not that I know of but my sister hates cotton.  She's not ASD but gets tounge tide and breaks out in hives.
mel33
by New Member on Jul. 29, 2007 at 2:19 PM
      My son Jaxon is TERRIFIED of buttons on his own clothes.He started having this fear at around three years old.If you put a button up shirt on him he will rip and tear at them while rolling on the floor screaming in fright.
      I still have'nt been able to find dress clothes for any special occasion as of yet and he's now eight years old.
mooshelly
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 6:32 PM
I am ASD I can only wear cotton or things that are very soft. I don't like the feeling of a shirt going over my head.  ALL of my clothes are at least a size too big. I can't get dressed right after I shower, so i compensate by taking my shower before bed. I don't wear dress shoes; I wear All-Stars. I don't like crunchy or crinkly or clingy.
It is not a phobia but I don't know how to explain it... and its not that I dont WANT to, but that I CAN'T. Thinking about wearing a sweater gives me the willies.  EEEKK!  It would get immediately ripped off, its like an invasion of my personal space, like an assault on my senses.
My dd hates seams, I have to turn her socks inside out and remove all clothing tags. She used to scream about her socks and her shoes. When she was a baby she had very sensitive feet and hands. At first i avoided taking her anywhere because of her meltdowns, but then I realized she needed to learn to live in the world so I bring her everywhere. Exposure I guess.  
Every night before bed I lightly scratch her arms and legs and them she can relax enough to fall asleep. Or I roll her up in my comforter on my bed and roll her around. I dunno, I just try to pay attention and try to figure it out. Is it fear? is it a sensitivity? is she uncomfortable?  Sometimes being a mommy really sucks.
My oldest daughter says that they (my kids) are my "special interest" and sometimes she feels like a lab rat, she is a teenager and sarcastic though. :)
ArilyMarie
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 8:22 PM
Well, my son WASafraid of tags on his shirt, ceiling fans, big huge balls, balloons, walking in the grass barefoot, walking in the sand and get this, you know how if you have the window shades open and a car goes by and the sun shines on the window and it shines thru your window and hits the wall? Well my son used to freak out every time the window shades were open and he saw the light shine thru. Oh yeah, he was also afraid of the moon and wearing baseball caps. He worked it out but I think it comes with their maturity levels. As they age and socialize more and more, things stop bothering them as much. You have to be really creative with them in order to get them over it but sometimes there's nothing you can do but wait it out. I would tell my son that "big boys"don't worry about things like that and sometimes it works. Now with the ceiling fans, I just finally told him that I was turning it on and he had 2 choices. Either deal with it or go play in his room. I know it sounds rough but sometimes you have to be like that or their fears will get to become your fears, which can end up driving YOU nuts and it's really rough not having a ceiling fan on in Florida. The 2 choice thing is really the thing that works best for me when I have to deal with my son and his fears.
mattstat2dmom
by on Jul. 30, 2007 at 11:06 PM
Hi, I'm new. My son Matthew has Autism and we have been through a few " weird"  fears . When he was younger he was afraid that birds were in his closet even though we checked every night and left lights on. This became a real problem  after many sleepless nights . I made up magic bird spray. An empty  spray bottle filled with water , a drop of food coloring and a handmade label was my miracle. He sprayed into his closet every night and guess what? His birds were gone with in a few days .He was in control of the situation and it helped him get over his fear. I would try giving your son a lint roller . Let him delint the whole house if it helps.
mom2anthony1013
by Member on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:28 PM
The Hamburger Helper Mitt.  Every time the commercial comes on we have to change it.

thecheshirerain
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:32 PM

Quoting mom2anthony1013:

The Hamburger Helper Mitt.  Every time the commercial comes on we have to change it.

im sorry that just made me laugh. right now we are afraid of monsters and his imaginary puppies go missing when he thinks there is a monster around. atleast the hamburger helper mitt you can change the channel. does the arby's mitt scare him too?

Rain

http://www.cafemom.com/group/realisticfatties

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)