Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism & Sleep Disorders

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 11:54 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 332 Total Views
Anybody in here know anything that might help me out here.  My 4 year old daughter with autism sleeps through the night about 50% of the time.  The other 50% she wakes up between 2 and 4 A.M. wanting to play.  Any advice on how to get her to sleep through the night?  Last night she ended up putting A & D ointment all over the couch and herself!

Jeannette

by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
autismwalk
by Member on Jul. 30, 2007 at 7:53 AM
Hi Jeannette,

My son is almost six now -- I remember those days.  :(  I make sure he has a snack before bed, so he doesn't wake up hungry.  I also have a fan or air purifier running during the night. -- I think the "white" noise helps.  He also likes a heavy blanket, even in the summmer.

What time does she go to bed?

Laura
ednakrabapple
by on Jul. 30, 2007 at 8:36 AM
My 10 year old with autisim still has sleep difficulties. He either goes to bed at the right time 8pm or 9pm during summer, or stays awake until 1am. Or he will wake up at 1am.
When he wakes up early, I give him a little snack then make him lay back down and try to sleep. Sometimes it works sometimes it dosen't. On the nights he stays up very late I have to make sure to keep putting him in bed and not speaking to him, I just put him back in bed each time he gets up it usually works.
Routine is key. If you give a bath and read a story before bedtime than you have to do that every night. Autistic children do best when they are made to adhere to a strict schedule. This seems to help my big guy. He still has sleeping problems, but they arent half as bad as they were when he was four.
jet07734
by Member on Jul. 30, 2007 at 2:31 PM

Quoting autismwalk:

Hi Jeannette,

My son is almost six now -- I remember those days.  :(  I make sure he has a snack before bed, so he doesn't wake up hungry.  I also have a fan or air purifier running during the night. -- I think the "white" noise helps.  He also likes a heavy blanket, even in the summmer.

What time does she go to bed?

Laura

My daughter usually falls asleep between 8:30 and 10 P.M.  My son on the otherhand is asleep between 9:30 and midnight.  He, recently, has been waking up around 4 or 5 AM really fussy.  I'll take him to the potty, and most of the time he'll go, but when he doesn't he'll go downstairs to curl up and sleep on the love seat in the living room.
wanderingalice
by Member on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:55 PM
my son wakes up about 3 am half of the time and doesnt go to sleep till 11. well i put him down at 11 he goes to sleep around 12-1 am. if i only let him sleep 1 hour at nap he'll go to sleep about 9:30 but he's like a hornet until that time so i just let him nap the full 2 hours
saulsmom
by New Member on Aug. 1, 2007 at 12:13 AM

HI
I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I USE MELTATONIN FOR MY SON HIS ADHD AND HE WAS VERY RESTLESS I GIVE IT TO HIM 1 HR BEFORE GOING TO BED AND THAT HELPS HIM SLEEP PRETTY GOOD
ITS OFF THE COUNTER AT WALMART BUT U MIGHT WANT TO ASK UR DR FIRST BEFORE GIVING IT TO HER. OK

I JUST THOUGHT I WOULD LET U KNOW OF THIS MED IT'S REALLY GOOD.
U MIGHT WANT TO TRY IT OUT

FLMomFlorida
by Member on Aug. 1, 2007 at 1:29 AM
My son also suffered from sleep problems.  We bought him a weighted blanket.  He now drags it everywhere and is his favorite.  Remember to use the formula of 10% body weight plus 1 pound.  So for my 25 lb toddler, he has a 3 lb blanket.  Found mine on ebay.  Hope this helps.

Take Care-
Dawn
momtojake903
by Member on Aug. 6, 2007 at 4:21 PM

Jacob gets Melatonin and the dr said that was the #1 recommendation that they use for this disorder.  You can get it at any pharmacy OTC and it is just a vitamin supplement.

BRONK
by Member on Aug. 6, 2007 at 8:39 PM
i am feeling you now. my son use to go right to bed in his own bed at 8am or 830no later he would tell us night nite time, now he wont even sleep in there, he wont even go to sleep without my husband. so now we are all in the bed together, i hope not 4 long i keep telling hubby this has to stop and he has to take him in his room, but as soon as those tears start coming daddy falls apart.WHAT AM I GOING TO DO.SCHOOL IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER.
calebsmom128
by on Aug. 6, 2007 at 9:12 PM
we use melatonin for our son as well, it has been a god send to us.  our dan doctor basically said, that their brains do not release the natural hormone "melatonin" to let them know it's time to be sleepy, so they have to take the supplement instead my son actually does the opposite at night, he gets more wound up and hyper than he does all day long.  it's all natural and safe.  we only give it if he is really having a hard time settling down. we just buy the cheap stuff at wal-mart and he gets 1mg an hour before bed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)