Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Suggestions Please

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:48 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 238 Total Views
Hi:

All of a sudden my daughter no longer wants to wear her pajamas.  I have been buying her the Disney pajamas all of her little life and she has always loved them.

Now she wants to wear her shirts that she wears to school and her long pajama pants.  Yesterday she changed into every shirt she owns and wore it for a half hour or so.  She will also carry around one of her shirts.  She never did this type of behavior.

This is a problem because the next day she won't take it off and will wear it to school.  I wonder why this is happening now.  I know it does not sound terrible but I just don't understand why?

Any Thoughts,
Karen

by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Riles
by Member on Jul. 31, 2007 at 1:37 PM
My son usually exhibits repetitive behavior when he is stressed.  He will continually tug on his shirt, so that the neckline doubles in size and his shirt looks as it is about to fall off.

Is there something happening that would cause your daughter stress?

R

alittlenerdy66
by Member on Jul. 31, 2007 at 1:53 PM
My son goes through odd phases too.  It is almost impossible to figure them out or change them either.  You might want to put some of the shirts away so she only has shirts available that she could end up wearing the next day.  And, let the school know that she is currently doing this so they will be aware of the reason she may appear a bit wrinkled when she gets there.  Does she respond to sticker charts?  You could give her a sticker for doing a couple of things to get ready for bed...like one for brushing her teeth and one for changing into pajamas.  If she has two stickers she could get a prize that you have prechosen (to sleep with a special new stuffed animal, to get a book read to her, to stay up 10 extra minutes, etc.) My son is low functioning and could not do this, but I know they use a lot of charts at his school. 
jash3
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 9:02 PM
My daughter goes through phases.  Sometimes she will wear the same outfit for days and sometimes she is changing her clothes every hour.  I have not quite figured out what triggers these things.  I will post it when I figure it out.  I think that the familiarity of the same outfit is what she is seeking.  Maybe the way it feels or smells.  The same could be said for always changing the clothes.  Does not like they way they feel or smell.  Our children have sensory issues that we may never understand.  May not know what triggers either what feels good or bad.  All I know is that if this is the worse thing we have to face right now, I can deal with it.  It is very easy to wash clothes.  It is not always so easy to mend a broken heart, spirit, or physical wound.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)