Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP!!!! We may be moving to PA. What will happen to my son???

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:40 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 252 Total Views

HI, my name is Lisa and I am the mother of Aidan, a 5 year old Autistic
child.  My husband and I are thinking about relocating to Bradford, Allentown or Hazelton PA and I am terrified.  Does the state of PA offer programs like NY's Medicaid????  With his Medicaid he gets free medical care, and supplies that he needs (medicine, diapers, pull ups, pedisure, etc).  What about schools?  Are there any in those cities or near them????  Right now he attends a great school whose basis for teaching/learning is ABA and that has been very successful for him.  Are any schools teaching that way?  Are the local school districts hard to work with to get services and schooling?????  His education and medical have to be my first concern before I can even consider moving.  My older son, Dylan will do just fine.  He is a very friendly kid and will be able to acclimate.  Plus, my husband has family in a town called Whitehall which is not far from Hazelton or Allentown so Dylan will have their kids to play with and interact with.  Please, please, please.....................if anyone knows anything that they can share with me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Lisa  

by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ZsMommy
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:51 PM
I live about 15/20 min from Allentown.
PA schools are great-but Allentown isn't so hot just district wise(there's overcrowding) 

Anyhow-if you can move into Northampton,-they're GREAT!!!
I'm so pleased with the help-And PA has CHIPS for medicare and stuff-PA has ALOT ,so please don't be as frightened about PA-Just check the areas...

Allentown has alot of crime if you're talking Center City-the outskirts of Allentown are much better and Hazelton has drug traffic to and from NY-it's kinda the gateway between the states for drugs

I don't know bout Bradford...

Look into Northampton,Whitehall and surrounding areas of Allentown if that's where your focussing on moving.
rjd573
by Member on Aug. 1, 2007 at 6:18 AM
Pa also has --at state level-- the Bureau of Autism Affairs, and hopefully when the Senate reconvenes ,we will be able to get the Autism Insurance Initiative passed.
Christieann
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 10:45 AM
we live near Harrisburg pa. My son is almost 5 and on the spectrum. PA has been great for us. I would really have to consider moving away from here because they have such great services for ASD kids. I will say you do have to do A LOT of work to get what your child deserves and it is a long process but well worth it. My son currently is on state medical assistance which coveres eveything from his medications to his therapies. There are programs to help with diapers and other things too but i have yet to look into those just becuase of time. Also my son was evaluated by the IU and was able to go to a special preschool class for special needs children. He will get a occupational therapist, speech, etc in school and he also has wrap services which provide him with a psychologist, and a mobile theripist which comes to our house or school or wherever we want to do his therapy so that its less stressfull on him! We see a private psychiatrist who is great. Also my son will be getting a TSS (a therapist who goes to school with him) who will help him with any issue that arise during the school day. There is so much in pa that can help these kids i dont know anytign about the NY system so i cant compare the two. The public schools are great too because they have to work with your childs IU and Wrap services and they are great advocates for your child. hope this helps
starangel37
by Member on Aug. 15, 2007 at 7:35 PM
hiya!  i live in birdsboro PA, (close to reading, PA) and i love our programs... here in Berks County and in many other counties we have Intermediate Centers and they are great here in Berks.  ethan was going to school through BCIU everyday, year round (minus short breaks) and there they would give him whatever therapies he needed.  i LOVE them!!!!  now he is headed to kindergarten and my school district is great!  daniel boone is amazing!  our school taxes are higher, but i know that i'm using the special ed. program so i don't mind as much!    we have a lot of area organizations that help out families.  there are wraparound services offered, which someone comes into your home and helps out with your child, teaching them independent skills for their future!  :)   also, there is always something going on as per workshops or events in the area for you and your family!  i know that allentown does hold an annual autism walk that is huge!!!!  please feel free to ask for anymore info and if you are moving to PA  welcome!!!! 

~ rachael
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)