Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you have a "BINKY"-Dependent child on the spectrum?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:46 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 485 Total Views

My son has ALWAYS had to HAVE his "Binky", pacifier, nuk, dummy, whatever you want to call it, at all times. He is 4 in February, and I feel this may become a problem soon. The Dental Association doesn't recommend it after the age of 5, I know. He already has quite some decay to his front teeth especially, and since he is unable to spit, and cannot tolerate the taste or "sensation" of fluoride toothpaste, so we brush with the toddler-type of fluoride free tooth cleanser for him, and even with all that, "brushing", although tolerated, is only briefly tolerated, so thorough cleanings are a challenge. I am needing advice if ANYONE is also experiencing this issue. I do believe it is a source of comfort and security for him, because he seems to be quite calmed by it in stressful situations. ANY ideas of how to break it? We've tried "cutting" them short to make it less satisfying, as one mom had suggested to us, but to no avail. He sucked away. Between a rock & a hard place!

AKA "bunkinzmama"eye rolling

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Mine did but one day he just didn't want it anymore.

He's 4 now and probably let go around 2 years of age. He would suck and suck on it to the point that I think once, I had about 15 binkies. He would take them all and when he would take something from a cabinet, he'd leave the binky there as "compensation" ? lol..  That's how I knew he'd be there. 

At times, he would find one that he left before and replace it with the one he had in his mouth. He's suck on it for sizing.. It was really funny.

The problem with leaving the binky is that he still puts other things in his mouth, no matter what it is.. so a binky would have been better.  Now it's rocks, pebbles, etc.. If it fits in his mouth, there it is.  They say it's due to "sensory" issues.

If your son doesn't have a sensory issue, then maybe you may want to start eliminating the binky, slowly. Only give it to him for sleeping, etc.. and then slowly ween him off it.

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:19 PM

one of mine did. he stopped when he was about 4 though. We would only give it to him at nap and bed time and that was it. Well we tried to take it away once and he flipped out for 2 hours so we gave in and gave it back then about 6 months later he started to chew them to pieces. Well one night I couldnt find a full binki just pieces so I asked him if he wanted it. He told me no and hasnt needed one since. I would say if you havent already start to only give it to him at night and naps. Then once he gets used to that start cutting a little off the tip until there is nothing left. Or have a binki be gone party. I have heard both ways tried and succeded.

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:36 PM

My son is 4 yrs old and still has one. He chews them to pieces. We have tried to not give him one and he has a absolute hissy. He doesn't have one when he is at preschool, that seemed to be easier to wean him off of it there, but at home, he has got to have one at naps and at bedtime. Heaven help us if he doesn't! But, I am not worried about his teeth in concerns with his bink, for us it's Pepsi! he is a total Pepsi freak and even though we water it down, he has got to have it. We don't keep any in the house, but when we go to visit family and at the sitter's, there it is. He won't drink milk at all and won't take any type of vitamin or suppliment. But I have noticed that if he doesn't have his bink on hand, then he will chew on his wrist and I would much rather have him chew on the bink. I feel that when he is ready, he will give it up completely. He weaned himself off breastfeed at 5 months, bottle at one year and will drink out of a sippy at bed and nap time, otherwise drinks out of a cup. And while he doesn't brush his teeth perfectly, he does brush. So, I don't push the bink thing. Of course, he also has a blankie too, but hey, I have a favourite blankie that I have had since I was 4 yrs old and I refuse to give that up! But I don't take it everywhere either, I just sleep with mine. LoL, the things we hold onto.

by New Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Hi, my son is 31/2 and he still takes his, he chews on them.  We have tried everything to get it off of it but the doctor told us until we find something to replace it with he propbly will not give it up.  I buy a new one about ever other day because he is so ruf on them.  

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 7:21 PM

My son is VERY hard to feed as well. I have found ON MY OWN that "gummi" vitamins are like candy to him and I've been successfull at fooling him with the "gummy" type vitamins. You may want to try those. Also, "BOOST" and "ENSURE" come in several flavors and are a VERY GOOD milk replacemnet/vitamin supplement for "our" type of children. My son drinks about 2 "BOOST" or the generic equivilent each day. It can be a little pricey, but it is really worth it if your son is as picky as mine. He will eat  Trix brand yogurt and  Mott's applesauce in the cups, but it's pretty much dry cereal and crackers, but LOVES  cheese Doritos! Try it out, Let me know if ya can! :-)

AKA : bunkinzmamashake hand

by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 7:45 PM

As you already stated, it sounds like a security issue as well as an oral sensation/stimulation that is needed.   You might talk to an Occupaitonal Therapist.  They may be able to give you some ideas. 

I think you'll be hard-pressed to pull him away from it without a replacement.  When my son was three, he loved to carry around his bottle.  It was always full of water, but he had to take it everywhere.   When I got rid of it, he started carrying around stuffed animals.  And man, was that hard.  He had three little animals that he carried around everywhere, inevitably one would get lost and a meltdown would occur.

Most of the items out there for autism are so similar to a binky that it may not help with the teeth.  But he will probably still want the oral stimulation, so you may find him chewing  on his shirt or coat.    Here's a link to some of those items.  I'm sure if you googled oral stimulation autism, you'll find more.

Hope this helps

by Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 9:22 AM

pj never wanted one. we tried to have one so he wouldnt need a bottle when ever he went to sleep. but he was a NOW child s he didnt want the bink bc no milk/formula came out of the thing. the now factor even hindered us trying to breastfeed. he couldnt wait for the let down. lol.

Co-Admin To:

Are you a NY Mom of a child with Special Needs? Join Us-click here!!

Know someone with Cerebral Palsy? Join Understanding & Living with Cerebral Palsy 
  Do you sometimes feel like you are going crazy? Join us at Crazy Moms with Crazy Kids

by Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 9:55 AM

My son is 2 and he is only binky dependent at bedtime. He will take a nap without it, but when it comes to night time it is the only thing that soothes him to sleep.

by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 10:17 AM

I feel like you were writing about my son!   :>)  We have much of the same issues.  He was 4 in Dec. and now only gets his "nuka" at bedtime.  I was finally able to cut it down to that much and yes it has to be replaced a lot as they get chewed up.  One thing we substituted in the day as needed last year when he asked for his nuka was a "p".  We got it from his OT and he would chew on that like crazy, have it hanging out of his mouth.  But at least it helped to put nuka in the cabinet til bedtime.  Maybe you could look into a "p" - check an OT website or catalog for starters and work your way from there.  On a side note, when his dad put him to bed one night he didn't ask for the nuka, (he did wake during the night and want it) but if I'm in the house, that thing has to come out. 

by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Robby will be 4 in January and still has to have his at bedtime, but that's it.  I have tried taking it away then and well....their is a difference between giving in to a screaming child after say 45 minutes versus 6 hours!  I try once a month-when hubby doesn't work the next day.  My attitude personally, is that Robby has more significant issues than taking a binky at bed time.  And that even if it does have long term dental consequences those are just one drop in Robby's bucket. 

Jennifer Group Admin

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)