Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obsession / Meltdowns

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:20 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 368 Total Views

My son has an obsession with wood & tools. Does anyone else have this same issue with an obsession ? He has also been having meltdowns, he's been saying I want to see my Daddy & I want to taake the train. He never had a meltdown I find it weird & strange. Does anyone else have these issues ?

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Yes,, My Son is 17 Let me tell you when he gets his mind on one thing that is what i hear over & over until either I get  it for  him, or the hard part is when he''s wanting something that is just not possible and he doest understand that I just cant make it appear, He does have meltdowns when he doest get what he wants .Most of the time it is reasonable stuff ,And then like you said I want to see my Daddy,  Oh yeah poof he is here,!! hang in there just letting you no my son does have Obsession /meltdowns he has to have a certain color yellow of felt pen, has to wear the same shirt ' s or shoes so I have buy 3-4 of everything.  He can't stand the light's being on except the one in the kitchen ,that one we dare not turn off lol  ect. ect ect. just a phase of autism. 
                                                       lightbulb

Ms. Janice and My Son, Mr. Man Kyle

mamatware
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:29 PM

It is very common for kiddos with ASD to have obsessions and compulsions, and go on and on and on and on about the same things repeatedly.  My son says "hi I'm fine" about a million times a day.....and he must listen to his music after breakfast or else....and if you try to change it because you can't stand to listen to those songs AGAIN.....don't even think about it!

Jenn74
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:43 PM

My daughter is obsessed with food...and has meltdowns about it all the time ....it drives me crazy....Jenn

RaggedyAnne
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:44 PM

My son is also obssesed with trains.

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:58 PM

We will drive around for hours just looking for a train ,we have train books, train video's , love the second answer too your question about going on and on and on oh boy don't i know as with his cloth when he was in school he would wear different cloth's but not very many I would have to wash them a lot . amazing to me how much are children have in common..I think it is cool.. 

Ms. Janice and My Son, Mr. Man Kyle

duckigrrl
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Quoting Jenn74:

My daughter is obsessed with food...and has meltdowns about it all the time ....it drives me crazy....Jenn

Same here! My son totally obsesses over food and most of his meltdowns are because of that. Especially if we have to go somewhere and its been more than thirty minutes since he last ate. I have to tell him all the time, Dude. Have we ever let you starve? We're gonna eat, trust me. And I have to remember to say it in a calm manner or the meltdowns escalate.

mom to

nerthus
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 9:21 AM

My daughter is 21 and obsessed with food and cats and Care Bears and collecting certain books; she HAS to have at least 4 2-liter bottles of Diet Dr Pepper in the cupboard/fridge at all times or she just loses it if there's less than 4; she has to carry this huge, honking book bag full of her books everywhere we go, and she wants every cat book and stuffed cat she sees (we have 4 real cats, too), plus she has cat jewelry and posters and calendars. She has collected care bears since infancy basically and has so many now in her room it's like a care bear factory exploded in there, sigh. She is also obsessed with listing all the schools in our school district, and her fave outing is to go drive by each and every one, sigh; then she goes home and writes down from memory what color brick they all have and what color the front doors are, etc. I teach prekindergarten, and each year she memorizes the birthdays of every child in my class and years later can STILL recite the kids' names and birthdays, even though some of them are now almost in high school!

islandmomAruba
by Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 9:43 AM

My daughter is obsessed with words! She asks for definition of words and translation! She is four and she started reading a few months ago! It's a good thing my husband and I love languages too! Water and anything that spins or rolls are others...And the human body is another one now; She says that the dog has to have blood in its body, otherwise the dog can't run.

RaggedyAnne
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Thank You for replying

jeanettetyler
by Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 10:23 PM

My son is 8 and obsessed with trees!!! He loves to go in the back yard and stay out there ( if i let him) for hours just touching leaves on trees and pine needles. He also is obsesses with pictures ( which is fine...i make doubles of all photos i take ) .He verbalizes alot of things in the pictures so i look at that as a learning tool. He also loves garage doors!!!! The winter has been rough...not alot of going outdoors , which he absolutely loves...and doesn't always understand that its too cold outside!!!

Jeanette
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)