Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I be concerned

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:43 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 261 Total Views

I have a 11  month old who I see showing some of the same behaviors I blew off when my 8 yo aspie was younger. It may be too early to even be concerned, but its in the back of my mind. I see my little one cover and mess with his ears alot like nathan does when he hears something loud or bothersome. He is very afraid of loud noises and especially the vacuum , he shakes and cries if we dont hold him.His motor skills might not be up to par .. as he doesnt crawl or walk yet. Everything else is good to my knowledge, hes pretty verbal and that started early, he seems really happy , and is very outgoing. What do you think?

I love my boys !boy kissing mombaby boybaseball

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mamatware
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Get an early intervention evaluation.  It is FREE and it will let you know one way or the other if their are reasons to be concerned.

nursetroutt
by Group Admin on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Quoting mamatware:

Get an early intervention evaluation.  It is FREE and it will let you know one way or the other if their are reasons to be concerned.

I agree with this and I also want to remind you that a 1st child gets all our time and energy. With subsequent kids our time is divided. We also tend to be a little more laid back. Not always, but frequently, they will do things at a later age. Good luck and don't forget the eval.

~ JANA
GOBryan
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:57 PM

You need to get him tested.. It's not common for a child not to walk, much less crawl, after a year..

They should be walking, give or take, around a year.. so if he's not even crawling, something is wrong.  My daughter was a preemie and she started to crawl before she was a year old and just after 1 year of age, she was holding on to things and walking.

Both of my children, with my current husband, are Autistic. I've heard of multiple siblings from the same parents also having the same disorder..   However, my 15 year old with my previous husband and my husband's kids do not have the disorder.. So it might have something to do with our combined DNA that is causing it along with the environment and possibly vaccines.

Both of my kids have different symptoms but are still in the spectrum.  The quicker you get intervention, the better.

wendy1978
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 4:10 PM

How or where would I get this for free ? Never heard of an early intervention eval.

Quoting mamatware:

I love my boys !boy kissing mombaby boybaseball

mamatware
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Go to google and do a search for ________ early intervention-fill the blank with whatever state you live in.  That will get you the contact information.  Then call them and tell them you want to initiate a parent referal because you have a child that is 11 months old and that he is not crawling yet-that is the part that will get their attention the most because that is usually started around 8 month old.  Honestly I would more concerned about other things before autism because of that fact. 

jeanettetyler
by Member on Feb. 6, 2009 at 10:01 PM

My pediatrician gave me the # to the early intervention in my area. If you cant find the # in the phone book then i would ask your dr's office for a #. Its better to be safe and get an evaluation than wait it out....best of luck!!

Jeanette
Luv2rocku
by New Member on Feb. 8, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Hi Luv2rocku here. I so admire you for your involvment in your chillds life.  First and for most you should go to your pediatrition and have a basic motor skills test.  Then get a letter of recomondation for a nero spschologolgist. Also contact your nearest Reagonal center. Every state has one. Regonal will then approve testing for your child. It is along process it will not be out of your pocket. But as i said it does take some time. The sooner you get your child involved in the system the better. They will contact you first by mail . then by phone. If you are approved then you will have an appointment they will do moter skills test  intelecual function test and allot of paper work,  From your blog it sounds like a good idia to do this. Remember to pace yourself. It is a long hard at times exhausting process, Just remember You are a great parent. You are strong and this is why you have been given this amazing child. I am luckey have my son.  I can only encourage you to stick with it and fallow through,as this will in the end be the most amazing journey of your life.

Luv2rocku forever on your side

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)