Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

QUESTION ABOUT SSI

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:47 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 231 Total Views

MY 16 MONTH OLD WAS JUST DX WITH PDD, I'M NOT GOING INTO ANY SPECIFICS, BUT BASICALLY, I JUST LOST MY JOB AND HAVE TO APPLY FOR PUBLIC ASSISTANCE B/C I CANNOT WORK, I HAVE A FULL TIME JOB TAKING CARE OF MY TWO TODDLERS ON THE SPECTRUM, THEY GET THERAPY EVERYDAY,, MY QUESTION IS, WHEN I GO TO SSI TO APPLY FOR MY SON, I NEED A INCOME TO SHOW THEM, SHOULD I APPLY FOR SSI FIRST AND TELL THEM I WILL BE APPLYING FOR PUBLIC ASSISTANCE, OR SHOULD I APPLY FOR PA FIRST AND THEN APPLY FOR SSI?

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mamatware
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Apply for SSI FIRST because in many states if you get SSI you are eligible for MORE than if you don't get it!

bxmom2580
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:11 PM

thanks for the reply!

Quoting mamatware:

Apply for SSI FIRST because in many states if you get SSI you are eligible for MORE than if you don't get it!

caringmother365
by Member on Feb. 6, 2009 at 3:10 PM

i pray that you will get help as for my son who now is 19 we tried several time but was told no not un till he reach the age of 18 & hoping you live in a state where this wil not happen to you i live in tn. finally after he turned 18 after all the red tape he began to draw the ssi only 1 good thing came out of this was we appleyed mabey 2 r 3 days after his 18th. b-day so untill all red tape work applying as soon as you can beacuse theu used the date of day we applyied so when he recieve his 1st ck they had 2 pay from that date & his 1st ck was a big help being it was over a thous. but now of course he draws much less ea. mo.

Linda Cain.

Beth100
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2009 at 8:50 PM

shrugging  It does not really matter which you do first.  If I were you, I would do the SSI first, as it is the most important process to begin, and it will take awhile.  Considering that almost everyone who applies, is turned down the first time, and then has to appeal, it takes the longest.  The good news is that if you keep appealing, the payments will be retroactive to the date you first applied.

You may actually have to get a lawyer to get the SSI, but they work on contingency & only take a small fraction of the first settlement.  If you need help, go for it all!  That is what all of us pay taxes for ,  and considering that a minority of us ever use it.....you, in my opinion are wellcome to it!  Good luck...Beth100

ParentPartner
by Member on Feb. 7, 2009 at 9:17 PM

I say you should apply for public ass. first. Since you have a child and are unemployed, you will probably get benefits alot faster. The SSI people will want to know about your income, but if you're only getting public ass. there won't be anyway that would disqualify him, I don;t think even if you get unemployment on top of that. Good Luck

"My son has Autism and HE thinks you're weird TOO!"confused

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)