Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CONCERNED ABOUT ISEAH

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:10 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 257 Total Views

MY SON ISEAH IS 16MONTHS OLD, AND WAS JUST DX WITH PDD / MILD AUTISM. I RECENTLY WROTE IN ANOTHER POST HOW HE IS A BITER, BUT HE HAS OTHER BEHAVIORS THAT CONCERN ME, EVER SINCE HE BECAME 1, HE HAS BEEN DRASTICALLY REGRESSING, HE CAN WALK, BUT PREFERS TO CRAWL, SO HE CRAWLS MOST OF THE TIME, HE DOES NOT SAY ANY WORDS, HE ROCKS, COVERS HIS EARS, HEADBANGS, BUT MOST OF ALL, HE SLEEPS MOST OF THE DAY, LIKE A NEWBORN. HE'LL BE UP FOR ABOUT 3-4 SPURTS, THEN GO BACK TO SLEEP FOR LIKE 2 HOURS AT A TIME, PLUS, NOT TO MENTION, HE SLEEPS ALL NIGHT, I DO NOT THINK THIS IS NORMAL, ALSO, WHEN HE IS HUNGRY / WET/ OR SOILED, HE WONT CRY TO LET ME KNOW, SO I HAVE TO CONSTANTLY CHECK ON HIM ALL DAY, HAS ANYONE ELSE BEEN THROUGH THIS?

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mamatware
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Is he on any meds or anything like that???  A lot of meds they use for our kiddos can have sleepy side effects.  I would just offer different foods and snacks through out the day for him.  Robby doesn't care if he's wet....but if he's stinky....he'll let you know!  As for the crawling....it could be a sensory thing, or it could be balance thing.  You may want to look into some type of shoe inserts, http://www.dafo.com/index.cfm?pageID=2143 any of the first six might help, talk to the doctor and an orthotist, they would be able to tell you for sure if something like that may help.

DadaAthonysMama
by Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:53 PM

My son is 4 and he still doesn't tell me when he needs to be changed.  He has let me know a few times but, not in a direct way.  People probably think I'm wierd when I'm grabbing his crotch and bottom to see if he is wet.  My Anthony likes to stay up most of the time so I can't speak to that but, I can talk about sensory stuff.  Head banging and rocking is sensory seeking, vestibular.  That would be the motion of a swing.  My son's teacher suggested swinging for 10 minutes every 6 hours.  We got a pressure bar that goes in a doorway and hang swings on it (rainydayplayground).  Also, you might try stimulating and decensatizing him a bit by brushing him with a surgical brush and doing joint compressions.  They do this at least once per day at school.  Hope this helps.

bxmom2580
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 1:18 AM

OMG LADIES, THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE, IT'S NICE TO KNOW THAT I'M NOT ALONE, I'M DEFINATELY GOING TO TALK TO HIS DOC ABOUT THIS, AND HIS THERAPISTS WHEN HE STARTS RECIEVING HIS SERVICES

Beth100
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2009 at 11:37 AM

boy on a swingI think you are just experiencing the full range of autism symtoms.  It all sounds very familiar.  I would just make sure that you keep his doctor informed of the symtoms he is displaying.  I would think he is very young for medicine, but I'm not a doctor. Good luck with your little kiddo!  Beth100

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on Feb. 14, 2009 at 1:08 PM

It all sounds so familiar, I have been thinking about ya ,how hard it is to figure out what to do in helping your boy, there is alot of good advice here and I wish you all the best with your son. As he gets older he will get better I know my son has . So hang in there mama. Give yourself a big hug for being such a loving mom... group hugThere are so many different ways to help with all of his needs .

mommyJanice44

mamatware
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2009 at 1:49 PM

I will also add that this MAY be a normal phase for him.  I have a 14 month old who is NT (neuro typical-AKA "normal") and he is currently going through a biting phase.  1-He is teething, and 2-it's a cause and effect game....."if I bite mommy she makes a really noise" He likes to sneek up on me when I'm not looking....ie cooking dinner Friday night....he stood up behind me and bit my butt!!!!  I have a bruise to prove it (don't worry I won't post a pic!)!!!!  I jumped and screamed, and he was sitting there with a big smile and laughing!!!!!  I told him no, and put him in the pack and play for a few minutes....but with his age....this could be normal!

Japop
by Member on Feb. 16, 2009 at 3:50 AM

Wow, I forgot all that stuff.  I think you will find that your son is all too similar to our children.  I agree that the rocking and head banging are sensory seeking behaviours.  Swinging is great jumping on a tramp and deep pressure with big pillows and a bean bag may help.  I would also encourage you to learn how to play with your son.  There are specific therapeutic methods we use that help us get in their world so we can help bring them into ours.  the first step is to be with your son and see what he sees.  It is called 'floortime'.  There is a website you can find via DIR or Floortime.  If you start ealy, you'll soon see the regression stop and hopefully some positive growth. 

Good luck to you.  We were there once and it was a scary and lonely place.  We now have an almost 5 y/o who can communicate with one to two words or use pictures.  He is potty trained and learning to play more effectively.  It is a long haul, but, well worth the fight.  Never give up.

Jen

Japop
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)