Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dimethylglycine (DMG) and B-6

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:49 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 502 Total Views

I was wondering if anyone gives their child Dimethylglycine (DMG) and B-6?  I've been doing some research on these two things and would like some opinions on if it has helped their child.  From what I've been reading, it will improve eye contact, mood, and speech.  Anyway, if anyone is using these products, please let me know if it works and how much you give your child.  My son is 5 and weighs aprox. 45 pounds.  Thank you ahead of time for any input. 

Amanda, Dennis, Madison, Jesse and Caitlin.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
LitlSuthrnMama
by Member on Feb. 14, 2009 at 8:26 AM

My son does have better eye contact and overall mood with B6 however he does have grander meltdowns! We started a while back with a B6 cream but had to stop because of hyperactivity and meltdowns. He is now on SuperNuThera which has B6 in it and we've had to adjust his dosing because he's doing great on the vitamin but starting with the meltdowns yet again!  I think like everything else it's going to be different for each child.   I've not tried DMG so can't help you with that.

SantaMom
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 9:25 AM

We started DMG a year ago.  She was about 28 lbs, age 3, and we started with 1-125mg tab at breakfast.  B's and DMG work synergistically.  You will want to either have a DMG with some folic/folinic in it or you can add a bit on the side.  Back then I see we had Courtney on 800mcg/day which is a little high to start.  I'd start at around 200-400mcg. with the DMG.  Also, DMG can have a huge burst type response which, while being progress, can cause massive sudden hyperactivity & craziness.  It's really because the lights are going on in the brain and it's almost more than they can handle.  It is suggested to stop, wait a week, and restart.  You'll still see your gains but not so erratic.  Meanwhile, keep giving the folic during that week.  Folic helps balance things like DMG, B6 and B12 to keep the hyperness from happening.  You'll know if it needs to be increased. 

For B6 we use P5P, Pyridoxal 5 Phosphate.  It's a coenzymated form of B6 and more easily used by the body.  You can give this with your folic and DMG.  That said, the biomed rule of thumb is to add things one at a time.  I would start with the folic for a week or if it's in with your DMG, start with the DMG for at least a week.  Wait until you feel your child has "leveled out" or acclimated to the new addition.  Next I'd add the P5P.  Add more folic if needed.  DMG can be increased but it's kind of an individual thing per kid.  Courtney currently takes 1-125mg. 3x a day.  She takes 100mg P5P 2x a day and from all sources gets about 1200mcg folic a day total.  Bear in mind she also gets MB12 shots so there's another need for folic.  She currently weighs about 32 lbs.

You may want to look at magnesium next - or are you already on a  cal/mag/D3 supplement?

LOTS of info in the Biomed group, too!  My siggy is a link.

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on Feb. 14, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Ever since my Kyle has been little We have given him the DMG .I have to melt them in water and it works just fine.  I was so curious to hear what Darlene had to say Im going to go by alot of her advice. I no it really works for Kyle.       

mommyJanice44

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)