Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anti-anxiety meds

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:26 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 198 Total Views

Hi ladies.This is my first post,so bear with me! I have a 7 year old son with autism,currently enrolled in 1st grade.His vocal outbursts and running away caused him to be asked to leave his class.He is now in the autism room 100% of the time,he does however eat with his class.Friday we had his IEP,and all of his caretakers brought up the subject of medication for his anxiety. It interferes with his concentration,and he is unable to change his schedule.They feel he should be on something and it would help bring out his true self. I have to admit,the only ones I'm familiar with are for adults.Who out there knows what these meds are capable of,good or bad?I'ts freaking me out,I don't want my son to be a zombie or something!Please share your knowledge with me!We see the doc in June,so we have time to decide.Thanks in advance!jigsaw ribbon

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by Head Admin on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:18 PM

This is the very reason I get so angry,, They too thought that medication to my son's fear for there benefit to make things easier on them at school was there option of how to help him . Not get so stressed out .. They are not the one to be telling you what to do and how to do it with your child , in the way he acting in school .. I f they can not handle him the way he is .. Then get a one on one aid so .. they don't feel the need to be put out . with having to put a little more extra care into taking care of your child.   Don't ever let the School persuade you that you need to put your child on Medication .. I know all of this . due to the fact that is what there option was for me .. NO WAY .. Follow your heart and be a voice to your child ..they must meet all of his needs with or with out the med's so as for my thought on the question . keep your child like you said you love him the way he is  , Good luck welcome, I just get very upset when the Schools think they have a right to tell a parent to put there child on med's if you ever need anything just send me a message Wecome to Cm,, glad you are here.There is by no mistake you wrote this post...good luck mama,              MommyJanice44

Of all Special Needs Children!

by Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:30 PM
My son 2 1/2 weeks ago was just put on zoloft for his obsessive/anxiety behaviors. I have notice a tiny change in him so far. The Dr. said the earliest we will see any difference is 3 weeks, usually take 4-6 weeks to see the full affect.
by Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:31 PM

I am in the same boat like you the difference is my son is gonna be five soon. I have resisted medication long enough. Now I think it will be worth it if it can make him socially more acceptable. I will give it a try, if it works out fine, if not, one can always discontinue. Just another of those avenues to explore

by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 7:34 AM

Thanks alot ladies,you were very helpful.I guess we have alot to discuss in the near future.My gut reaction is to say no to the drugs.I agree that my son is who he is,we've accepted him for who he is,I just wish everyone else could.It breaks my heart.jigsaw ribbon

by New Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 11:46 AM

My son is on medications- zoloft -risperdal-focalin - and I have to say what a huge difference it has made in his and our lives. He feels better, acts better. I was very against giving him meds. And then I said he needs help now!! I am very greatful we put him on meds.

by Member on Mar. 10, 2009 at 12:35 PM

My 7y/o Aspie was saved by Zoloft.  He had been teased in school for his outbursts and crying for his mommy for 2 years.  He beacame so anxious and depressed that he could no longer go to school.  He has been on Zoloft for one year (75mg) and he is a different person.  He is happy, confident, proud, and fully included in a main stream class.  His anxiety crippled him and now that it isn't a factor, he is able to learn, make friends, and be a little boy.

We also fought this decision and now we are sad that we let our son go so long without it. 

Good luck on your decision, you can always stop!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)