Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

An observation I've had................(PIOG)

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:21 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 494 Total Views

I'm a mom of a kid with Aspergers, an occupational therapist, a person with a moderate case of ADD  w/out hyperactivity, that I"ve always had, and I've been privy to a moderate brain injury due to a car accident 12 yrs. ago,  back cognitively about 85% and so thankful for that. I'm just a little bit forgetful. But when we discovered our son has Aspergers, I could relate quite a bit.........

Here's a theory:

Autism, moderate and high functioning presents as an extreme form of ADD.

What are your thoughts on this......................

Now I need a cup of coffee to focus............

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jalemans
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Hi!  Some say that ADD is on the spectrum, I am not sure one way or the other.  My neice & nephew both have adhd & could be a handful when they were little, but they seem to look at the world in an 'NT' way.  I don't know if that makes sense, but I feel like our little guy sees/experiences the world around him differently -- not necessarily goos or bad, just differently.  He also doesn't seem to have an issue focusing to a task (as they did), although he does tend to get bored when something is too easy & frustrated when something is too difficult.  They are grown now & are as 'normal' as anyone else.  They never needed therapy or anything like that.  Who knows.

questioning
by Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:02 PM

My son has been Dx with h/functioning Autim & Adhd since he was 3 yrs. old.He is now 8 years old. His doctor told us many kids that have autism also have adhd. He has been on adhd med. As long as he is on his med. he is focused and has more self control. In the afternoon when the med. wears off he's very agitated for a little while. But u can tell when he's on his meds. / and not. I look at it this way if u can see this on the outside what is he feeling on the inside if u know what i mean.... Good Luck

shelbysmom139
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:09 PM

I am ADHD and yes we are on the spectrum. I did the meds as a kid and that is one of the reasons I refuse to put my daughter on them. I was also vaccine injured and have records from the Maumee childrens home proving it

mystic1930
by Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Asperger and Autism are two separate diagnoses within Pervasive Developmental Disorder. ADD is a disorder but not under PDD.

There are 5 disorders under PDD

Autism

Aspergers

Childhood Disintegration Disorders

Retts

and NOS (not otherwise specified)

Descriptions and great article for diagnosing here: too long to paste all the info here

http://hopeezinetoday.com/PervasiveDEvelopmentalDisorder.html

This is pretty good too, but I disagree that high-function autism is aspergers because they are separate disorders

http://www.pediatricneurology.com/autism.htm#ADHD

Obama Inauguration Own a Piece of History!

lindseycosta
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:11 PM

i've heard of autism and adhd going hand in hand, but not adhd being on the spectrum. this scares me because I do have a son with autism, and i have adhd, and I am afraid to have another kid because I am afraid they too will have autism and I dont know if i could ever manage to raise 2 kids with autism... it scares me a lot...

*L*I*N*D*S*E*Y*

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

mustbeGRACE
by Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Well,

I will say that my child had visual  and finger stims as a littler guy, with echolalia and he lined up toys.. Eye contact was almost non-existent. He has low muscle tone and auditory sensitivity.He has always needed the tags cut out of his shirts and has extreme oral sensitivities. Sooo........

You don't have to call it autism, but it sure seemed like it.

But I really just believe in treating the symptoms no matter what we call it.

mystic1930
by Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 5:22 PM

HERE HERE GRACE

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Well,

I will say that my child had visual  and finger stims as a littler guy, with echolalia and he lined up toys.. Eye contact was almost non-existent. He has low muscle tone and auditory sensitivity.He has always needed the tags cut out of his shirts and has extreme oral sensitivities. Sooo........

You don't have to call it autism, but it sure seemed like it.

But I really just believe in treating the symptoms no matter what we call it.

Obama Inauguration Own a Piece of History!

ParentPartner
by Member on Mar. 13, 2009 at 12:45 AM

Myoldest son was VERY hyper as a young child (hes 9). Now hes SUPER lazy. Luckily he is VERY thin and has alot of eating/feeding trouble so I don't worry about his activity level. My youngest son who was dx as bipolar is like the ball in the pin-ball machine. He never stops moving, jumping, climbing... The funny thing is that after I had my oldest, I thought I could handle anything. I've NEVER seen a kid like my younger one, although I've heard stories-on here as a matter of fact =) His Dr. did actually mention having him evaluated for ADD/ADHD. Hes already on 3 different medications, and still all this! The Dr. prescribed another (4th) medication for the ADD. I havent filled it yet. Hes only 5-Im so afraid of the side affects. Gosh I totally went off subject and turned this into being all about me. Sorry

"My son has Autism and HE thinks you're weird TOO!"confused

SimsAddiction
by Member on Mar. 13, 2009 at 12:48 AM

Yes they do. Our son is high functioning and also ADD.

Funny how you said you needed a cup of coffee to focus. We give our daughter a cup every morning before school. She is breastfeeding and can't take her normal meds for her ADHD. So we do as the docs have said we could a cup of coffee gets her through the day.

SimsAddiction
by Member on Mar. 13, 2009 at 12:50 AM

Chances are there but I wanted to tell you I had 2 after our son and both are fine.

Quoting lindseycosta:

i've heard of autism and adhd going hand in hand, but not adhd being on the spectrum. this scares me because I do have a son with autism, and i have adhd, and I am afraid to have another kid because I am afraid they too will have autism and I dont know if i could ever manage to raise 2 kids with autism... it scares me a lot...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)