• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A difficult night

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:26 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 225 Total Views

tonight has been hard. Our youngest who is 22 months is sick and my SO is at the er with her now. She has a bad cough. Dylan has been really wild tonight and everytime I say something to him he just makes a sqeaking sound. He does talk not always clearly but he does talk but tonight he just keeps making noises. We just got dx with aspergers about a month and half ago so this is all new to me. He has always made noises but this is a new sound.  I think the reason it is hard tonight because we are worried about the little one. I tried putting in a movie but he dont want that. I wish I knew what I could do to help him calm down.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
kimzzshane
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 9:08 AM

maybe try music videos....i always had a collection of different types of these videos,Disney sing alongs,were always a good choice..depending on what mood my son was in,and what was happening at the time,would be what i would choice for him to watch,whether it be up beat,or low key..their are many different types of children's music videos,with sights and sounds that can interest a child,you kinda gotta try a few different ones,to see what best catches his attention.i would suggest short 30 min types,they seemed to work best for my son...gee sounds like your going though a hard time,I'm sorry to  hear about that,hang in there things will get better...hope this helped a little....Kim

Tina258
by Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Hope your little one is feeling better!

Try some sensory calming exercises that is what I have to do to calm Andrew down, when all he wants to do is his humming and running around.  You just have to try different ones to see which ones he responds to best.  Trial & Error!  Andrew likes to rock in the rocking chair, or a exercise that we call "stomp it out"  and we just start stomping our feet singing "stomp, stomp, stomp it out" and then we will clap and sing"clap, clap clap it out" Sometimes we will do it for only a few seconds and sometimes we will do it for several minutes,  What ever it takes until he is ready to stop.  That exercise I made up myself but you can find others just type in sensory calming exercise and see what you will find.

Good luck and take care, my prayers are with your family.

Tina

momdicca
by Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 9:54 PM

thanks for the ideas. I am willing to try anything. Today was another wild day with him. He has been so wound up the last couple of days. The baby is ok she has broncitis but she isnt coughing so much tonight hopefully we will get some sleep didnt get much last night with her being sick we are really tired between her being sick and dylan being a wild little guy.

kurkel5
by Member on Apr. 10, 2009 at 9:31 AM

All kids are very sensitive to their parents feelings/stress etc. I think our kids are even MORE sensitive and really pick up on our feelings...our stress..our anxieties. With the little one being so sick ...He is just feeding off that. He can feel the stress and anxiety and has no way to vent it himself. Cant or doesnt know how to express his concern, anxiety or stress.

Now that the baby is better and as you all settle and relax and calm down...he probably will too. Problem is it can become a viscous cycle. Since he became a wild guy and if you react to that it can keep going. And it may take some time for him to settle back....he could still sense or understand that even tho the baby is better she is still sick. Maybe a warm soothing bath for him? Music is good....

I dont know how old Dylan is but there are things out there to help soothe and calm our overly sensitive kids..... All just thoughts and ideas...hope things are better for you now!

Kelly (kurkel5)
Beth100
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2009 at 9:45 PM

simple frownI'm so sorry to hear that you are having such a bad time.  I think too, that autistic kids are very aware of situations around them and more affected by upset of any kind.  I hope things are looking up a bit.  My favorite bible verse..."It came to pass"......and it will.  Keep your chin up!  Beth100

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)